Valued Contributor

Re: Identity fraud....just keeps happening....

@Annabellethecat66  You are so right. Nothing happens to criminals anymore. When society has broken down to this degree, we are in serious trouble.

Honored Contributor

@furbabylover You said it better than I did and with much fewer words.Heart

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Yes, the gas pumps are the worst for card ID theft.  I have a good friend whose husband is a police detective. You wouldn't believe the number of theft reports he receives every dang day. Some stations are much worse than others. Makes one think inside jobs, doesn't it.  

HIs advice, and that of my friend, is to carry cash for gas. Don't use your card unless absolutely necessary.  I sure won't, unless they can figure out a way to prevent the equipment tampering.  

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch  I live with terrible back pain and 2 fake knees, there is no way I can mosey up to the inside of the place to pay with money.  I use a card I have for things like that and ordering on line, etc.  I don't keep much money in the account.

My past business partner (when I sold one of my companies back to him a few years ago owned way over 200 service stations.  I used to pick his brain about questions like is gas all the same?  Things like that.

He was another treat.  He was from Iran originally.  He hated dealing with females but when my husband died, we had several businesses together so he had to 'bite the bullet' and deal with....OMG!  A female!  Ha!

Honored Contributor

I almost forgot!  That happened to me a month ago, my employer notified me.  They submitted a fraud report and fowarded a link to me and I also submitted a fraud report. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

That is true under normal times but these are not normal times.  Blame it on Covid 19.  With so many businesses closing and downsizing an unprecedented number of people are filing for unemployment.  States are pushing the claims through and some of the fraudulent claims get approved.  That's what the scammers count on.  They are happy if they get pay outs from 10% of the claims.  Which is a lot of money since they are doing this to millions of workers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

My son was just informed by his employer that someone filed for unemployment insurance using his name and SS number.  😡 

Last spring, someone filed a claim against me with my car insurance provider saying I broke their truck mirror with my mirror.  They said it happened in a town in the western part of my state and somehow they had my license plate number.  I had never even heard of the town and had to look it up on a map.  There was no way my little car could even reach the mirror on a Silverado truck.  I could also prove that I was at work at the exact day and time they said it happened because there are cameras all over at work and we have to use our badges to get in and out of the buildings.  

Just makes me so mad that there are such nasty people that do these stupid scams!  Grrr!!!

Someone filed for Unemployment Insurance with my SSN also!

My employer told me today.  They reported as fraud. 

I set up a call back from IDES to report it as well.  I locked my Credit Reports & set up 1 year fraud alert.

time for a Disaonno - hold the ice

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I handle unemployment for my company and I've had to inform almost 400 people since April that a fraud claim was filed.  That doesn't count the employees who informed me that they received a letter from the state.

MA is the hardest and longest hit of all the states.  MA took until late November to figure out that bots were filing the claims and finally fixed their system.  CA was at least smart enough to shut the entire system down for 2 weeks to stop the madness.  States like MA reported that in one week they had 51,000 claims and figured out that only about 1000 of those were legitimate.  So I don't know if we'll ever know the true unemployment numbers.

FBI, Secret Service and local law enforcement are working it.  It's international schemes, prisoners and current and former employees who are doing it.

The real problem is down the road if you didn't catch it and your money was paid out and you need it, it will be a pain to fix it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN