Respected Contributor

@nanny24  I don't know if you have any brothers or sisters but if you do time to call them in to help. Think Mom needs a distraction too a hobby or something to keep her interest. She maybe lonely. There are senior day centers but think she will kick & scream the whole time. Maybe a pet (cat) or something that will keep her busy, You could go over to change litter or food if she is unable. An inside garden or something. She needs something to do. She isn't going to change her ways since you said she was like this all her life so no suprise when she acts up. 

Honored Contributor

First, GROUP HUGS from people here who understand how bad stress (whether happy or sad, believe it or not) can get.

Two easy quickies in a winning combination- MUSIC AND THERAPEUTIC MASSAGE!

If you have time, make a play list, and start listening to it when you’re NOT feeling stressed, for some period of time every day. THEN- see if it calms you when you’re feeling at your harder moments too. If you’re by yourself and can do a few dance steps while you listen, all the better.

THEN - look for a source for real, ethical therapeutic massage. Our local YMCA offers it, and the effects can be amazing. Pricey, but YOU’RE WORTH IT.

Ultimately, you’ll have to tackle the root causes of your stress, but if you can train yourself to react calmly to a couple healthy pleasurable actions, you may find yourself feeling more empowered and resilient.

Also, take a minute or two frequently to take full slow breaths. Do it just because it feels so good, but it may also help!

I’ve been under overwhelming stress for over a year, and there have been times when my new tuba has all but saved my life.

I’ll be sending positive thoughts and I personally don’t hesitate to say a prayer or two when things really get bad.