Respected Contributor

@nanny24   When at home, I simply pick up my big, fuzzy cat and give him a hug.  Something about that purring and that warm body against mine is the most soothing thing ever!  Cat Happy

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

Thanks for the ideas, I do walk 2 miles per day, and exercise. Don't drink sodas or coffee. My mom is the big problems here, she is very self-centered and hard-headed. I deal with her several times a week, doctors, groceries, etc. I just don't like being around her. She made my dad miserable for 54 years till he died, now she tries to control everyone else. I envy those who have a loving relationship with their moms. Smiley Sad  I need to get some craft projects going, and get to the library for some reading. Sometimes just sharing a problem lightens the load. Thanks to all.

Esteemed Contributor

As hckynut touched upon, we have different personalities that react various ways to stress. A psych instructor I had mentioned when she overthinks things she tells her brain to shut up. Then she has positive mantras or phrases to distract her from worry. I learned this at a time I was working FT, kids at home, going to grad school and handling sad news in our extended family. 

Just telling my mind to be quiet and finding a better focus helps me a lot. I also practice meditation and prayer which helps me personally, but this isn't for everyone.

At work, we have a code between cohorts. IDC -- when work things become annoying and we begin to obsess and blow things out of proporation, we tell one another to stop caring so much. IDC = I don't care. 

I believe the answer is somewhere between our ears. Good luck to you. Peace be with you.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor
Decide to pick your battles and what is worth fighting over and what is not.
Sometimes walking away is the best action.
It’s ok to say no.
It’s not your job to make someone else happy.
Honored Contributor

Only one....therapy.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Only one....therapy.

Seriously? Maybe for you, but many can learn coping skills and mechanisms through other venues. With your history I'm sure therapy would be needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

Walking in the woods works best to destress me.  Not just walking around the neighborhood, but woods.  It makes all the difference in the world.  As soon as I enter the woods, I can feel the stress leaving my body.  If you read about forest bathing, you will find that trees give off healing compounds.  

I hope you find something that helps.  Hugs and healing to you.  

download.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Only one....therapy.

Seriously? Maybe for you, but many can learn coping skills and mechanisms through other venues. With your history I'm sure therapy would be needed. 

@RetRN.  Was that necessary? I have seen quite a few nasty posts from you. Quite a few.

Super Contributor

First...you are not alone....

Second...Lock the bathroom door...look in the morror, and repeat, I am Loved, I have value, I am doing the best I can, I am entitled to say NO.  And most inportant...this too shall pass.  

Life is a marathon, not a sprint.....

Peace

Trusted Contributor

Prayer.

Give it to God.

His shoulders can hold so much more than our own.