Respected Contributor

Re: I wish I could tell my mom and dad how much I admire....

@VegasBusinessWoman 

were you referencing......Sa Ta Na Ma

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your sweet stories and kind words.  My mom always said, "Old age ain't for sissies" and she was right about that.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I'm glad I opened this thread and read such heartfelt posts. I worked with a lady whose parents lived to be 98 and 103. She said they outlived all the friends who they played cards with. It was sad, and not surprisingly, when her mom passed, her father followed within three months.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat...I don't have words of wisdom but I fully understand where you are coming from.  My father passed at 96 and my  mother at 94, two of the most wonderful parents anyone could have, I miss them terribly.  They were still living on the east coast where I was born and raised but I moved to CA in 1965 so I didn't see them very often.  They did, however, drive from FL to CA to visit with me every summer until they were too old to make the trip and I also flew to FL to visit as often as possible which wasn't really often enough.  I wrote them lots of letters telling them how much I appreciated everything they did for me in my lifetime and called them at least once a week.

I have had three wonderful friends, one for 40 years, another for 35 and one more for 15 years, and all three are gone because of breast cancer.   It is extremely hard to lose people we love.  There isn't much we can do when loved ones are gone, we have to keep on living our lives to the best of our abilities until our time comes.  The one thing we should not do is dwell on the ones we lost or on our own demise.

Believe me when I say I wish I was 60 again, I was still working and worked until I was 70.  You are not old by any means, and yes, some people you know may pass but you have to keep on taking each day and living it to the best you can, you need to enjoy life and not worry about tomorrow.  You may not know it but most likely you do have the strength and grace you speak of.  I wish you all the best and don't think negative thoughts, be positive, it makes for better days.  Bless you. Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

You just told them in your post and my belief is they hear you. Only one person can control how one experiences life, and that is themselves. Your parents set an example for you by how they lived. If that is what you choose, make that a primary goal for the rest of your years.

Too many underestimate their own abilities and strength and are able to do things they thought were impossible. For most it is a process and not an easy thing to accomplish. As we age we all experience some of the things you mentioned and never had given them a thought over the years prior. You have time to make whatever changes you choose to emulate the path your parents chose.

My best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)