Honored Contributor

Re: I've gone crazy! I ordered skates for myself!!!

@JYWilliams wrote:

I love roller skating. I use to go on Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoon when I was young. Now in my 50's when my friend comes into town we still go roller skating. (before Covid)

@JYWilliams  I loved skating too. We went on certain nights and if you had a crush on a boy you always hung out there to see if you might get a glimpse of him. This was jr. high age or so. Our neighor even owned the skating rink. I'd love to try it again but haven't.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 , you will have to check in with John @hckynut @hckynutjohn .  S

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 , you will have to check in with John @hckynut @hckynutjohn .  S

@Lilysmom1  John is an ice skater not roller skater.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 , sorry about that!  Enjoy your hobby!  S

PS, one of my girlfriends does this.  I am in awe!

Esteemed Contributor

Have fun! I'm jealous, I use to love to skate.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361  - How cool and what great exercise.  Please come back and update us after you've received them and gone for your first skate!  Would love to hear.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I grew up ice skating.  We had an hockey team in town and the ice arena was open to the public on weekends and we were there a lot.  You could rent skates (like shoes for bowling) but we had our own.  Great memories.

Occasional Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I grew up ice skating.  We had an hockey team in town and the ice arena was open to the public on weekends and we were there a lot.  You could rent skates (like shoes for bowling) but we had our own.  Great memories.

I grew up in Hershey, PA, where every kid ice skated.  I began skating when I was 3 yrs. old.  No skating anymore because I'm old and afraid of a hip fracture!  I still have my skates, though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 

Good for you. I haven't roller skated since my single digit age. They were the kind hooked onto your shoes and needed a key to tighten the hooks on the sides.

But ice skating? I skated for 2 hours at the rink yesterday, and with luck will be doing the same tomorrow. Have Inline skated(roller blades, 3 or 4 inline wheels on them) before we moved. Did that during the summers when the ice rink was closed. I assume these are for indoor skating? Oops, I see you said outdoors!

All I can say is this. If it's been years/decades since you skated, I would have someone on foot right next to me until I felt like I had balance. Even with quad wheels, that roll, some balance is required. Never hurts to have some protective gear for knees/hands/elbows, and maybe even a helmet.

Don't know your age, but the ladies generally have more porous bones than us men, thus more easily injured or broken. Have hit the pavement a few times the last couple of years and got banged up.

Happy skating to you, 

hckynut    🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hi @Lilysmom1 

I see someone mentioned that my skating is on ice. Nice of you to mention my skating. At 81, it is still a love of my life. Will keep at it, falls and all, until I physically can't. Right now I see that as a long way from how I feel right now.

Merry Christmas to you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)