Respected Contributor

Re: I seriously don't know what to do

@violann wrote:

We lost the most amazing house I'd ever lived in because the character of the street changed this way.

As much as I love our new neighborhood, I'm sure I'll never  completely "leave" my beautiful house on the hill. 

Knowing that our expected grandson would be a wheelchair user, at least part time, made the decision inevitable, because the stairs were enclosed in the middle of the house, but the final blow occurred when the town zoning board decided we'd have to have a variance to increase the usable first floor size of our house, even on a 2 acre lot.

I wish someone could help you @luvmyteddy4. It's a tough way to live.

I'm sorry to hear that Violann. I've lived in big houses before but now that I'm older I'm happy that I bought a small ranch with no steps. I don't have anyone to help and certainly wish I did. I had such great neighbors before. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvmyteddy4 

I haven't read every single post yet, but this came to mind ....   

Does your community have a local TV news department with an Investigative Reporter who does stories about local problems and knows everyone in local government?   

I didn't catch where you live, but getting an ambitious local reporter involved might help .... they usually have pretty good connections.  

Just a little more food for thought.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure there's much you can do if they are parked legally - facing the right way, not too far from the curb, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 

Does your community have a local TV news department with an Investigative Reporter who does stories about local problems and knows everyone in local government?   

I didn't catch where you live, but getting an ambitious local reporter involved might help .... they usually have pretty good connections.  

@luvmyteddy4 That's not a bad idea!  They could probably find someone to come out and widen the end of your driveway and it wouldn't be a big deal!  Great idea!

If not, contact a local policeman's or firefighter's group or a church group and I'll bet they would be happy to do that for you!  

Check around.  I think this is a problem that could be easily helped by some nice people. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 

I have thought about the news. Over the Easter holiday when they left 5 cars out front there was a fire behind their house on the next block. I'm the one that called 911 when I saw the flames.

No one was home when they left the all the cars out front but what if that had been their house on fire! There were 7 firetrucks that showed up on that block and they blocked off the street at my end.

What if the fire had gone to their house with no one home for a week. It was a big fire too. From what I've heard firetrucks will knock any cars out of the way if they have to.

I see the big trucks try and get thru with barely an inch to spare.

I haven't called the city yet because there are noisy workers next door and I can't hear yet.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm not sure there's much you can do if they are parked legally - facing the right way, not too far from the curb, etc.

oh I have lots of pics with them facing the other way!

Respected Contributor

I feel your frustration. My neighbors have a two car garage, which has never housed a vehicle, and a driveway which would easily hold four cars. Yet they only park one car there. And prior to the pandemic seemed to have run their own friends and family daytime Park & Ride on the street. I would need to inch my way back and forth at least five times to get out of my driveway. And my road seems wider than yours. First, I hope you vote. In every election. That’s how you can get the attention of a ward chairperson or council member who may be able to help you. Contact their office. Tell them you’ve been having a problem leaving your house because of a parking situation on your street and you hope they can gave you some guidance. Ask about what conditions need to be met to get No Parking signs posted so you can safely pull out. If they or Road Maintenance can offer some suggestions. Ask if they know of any programs or volunteer groups that assist the elderly and possible put a parking pad along your front yard.
Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4If your local law enforcement won't do anything, call your local news station!  Tell them about the problem you're having.  Many local news stations will take up causes on behalf of their viewers.  You know, like on your side; advocacy sort of.

Next thing: Call your obudsman or elected legislator for your district/area/town and tell them you will get the press involved about the circumstances in which you live.  YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO GET OUT OF YOUR HOME at a moment's notice.  No one should be blocking you in at any time, let alone days on end.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Valued Contributor

There was somewhat of a situation in where I live. Some people lived in a very desirable area of town near a park for many years. Someone decided to build a home next to theirs but it was very close to the existing home. So close that the home owners were told they could no longer use their fire place cuz it was a fire hazard for the new home. They went to the city (city didn't want to help because they issued the building permit). I believe they just checked with every agency they could and finally found someone to look into it (it was an attorney). The home builders changed the plans so the house being built was much larger than original plans. After all was said and done, the new home which wasn't even built for 6 months was torn down. The people who built the home wanted the city to feel sorry for them. 

I know it is not exactly the same thing, but there has to be some kind of ordinance or law to help th OP. 

Myself, I would go to each of the cars and rock them til the alarms start going off and do it every time I wanted to leave

cookin

Esteemed Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:
I feel your frustration. My neighbors have a two car garage, which has never housed a vehicle, and a driveway which would easily hold four cars. Yet they only park one car there. And prior to the pandemic seemed to have run their own friends and family daytime Park & Ride on the street. I would need to inch my way back and forth at least five times to get out of my driveway. And my road seems wider than yours. First, I hope you vote. In every election. That’s how you can get the attention of a ward chairperson or council member who may be able to help you. Contact their office. Tell them you’ve been having a problem leaving your house because of a parking situation on your street and you hope they can gave you some guidance. Ask about what conditions need to be met to get No Parking signs posted so you can safely pull out. If they or Road Maintenance can offer some suggestions. Ask if they know of any programs or volunteer groups that assist the elderly and possible put a parking pad along your front yard.

@Etoile308She can get the assistance of her town's chairperson, obudsman, council person whether she votes or not.  They work for the people, no matter who elected them.  If they are elected they have to serve ALL CONSTITUENTS.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life