Respected Contributor

Re: I seriously don't know what to do

Here are some examples. The first pic was Sunday. 

People might think there is plenty of room in the street without backing to the curb but there is not.

5-3-21 cars parked 004.JPG

9-1-20 tomatoes car out front 001.JPG

9-10-16 illegal parking 003.JPG

5-25-17 Car in driveway 002.JPG

I have hundreds of pics.

Trust me the street looks wide enough but it is not.

Think about if people parked on my side and they have before.

Honored Contributor

It's an unfortunate situation, but honestly, looking at the pictures, you're going to have to flare your driveway out at least on the one side.

We have 3 large trucks and to park out back there is an alley that is no way any wider than your street (2 cars cannot pass--not even those little front seater buggy looking cars).  So it's a manuever, but I can back up onto the driveway strips without touching my grass.  Do you have a backup camera?  

Having a decorative paver flare wouldn't look bad, we chose that over solid concrete for our strips.

The picture with the dumpster in the driveway, if that driver can manuever it, you can, too.  The secret is backing in.  I've always backed in to spots, especially tight ones.

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4, regarding the idea to park in front of your own driveway: Where we live, you can do that if you get a permit from the city. Otherwise, no. You might check your city's policy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It's an unfortunate situation, but honestly, looking at the pictures, you're going to have to flare your driveway out at least on the one side.

We have 3 large trucks and to park out back there is an alley that is no way any wider than your street (2 cars cannot pass--not even those little front seater buggy looking cars).  So it's a manuever, but I can back up onto the driveway strips without touching my grass.  Do you have a backup camera?  

Having a decorative paver flare wouldn't look bad, we chose that over solid concrete for our strips.

The picture with the dumpster in the driveway, if that driver can manuever it, you can, too.  The secret is backing in.  I've always backed in to spots, especially tight ones.

No my truck does not. In the 3rd pic I took out the bush on the side of the driveway in case I need to drive thru the grass but the water meter is next to the driveway that is underground. 

A huge tree on the other side. 

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe more reasearch and banding with your neighbors?

Get your plat to see exactly what you have out there.  Then look at your code.

To my recollection fire vehicles require 20' to turn a street corner.  Think that is federal?

Was your street build below code or was it grandfathered?  What mandated remedies are in place.

Somewhere in the code you can see if you can widen the mouth of your drive.

Generally the police will not come if they are blocking their own driveway unless they trapping someone in.  Don't go there 😂😂😂😂🤣

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 ........unfortunately I dont think there is a solution to your problem.  Its one of those darned if you do and darned if you dont.

Your neighbors already know you are unhappy about the situation and they continue to cause a problem for you and if you keep doing anything about it, it will only get worse.  In their eyes you are the enemy.

As long as they are parked on the street and its legal, there is nothing anyone can do.

Sorry I dont see a solution for you here.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m sorry you don’t have neighbors that are easier to deal with. Looking at the pictures, they aren’t doing anything illegal and they’re parking in front of their property which is where they should be parking. The street is very narrow and your driveway is not very functional on a narrow street.

Respected Contributor

I'm the old disabled woman here and why am I the one that should have to make all the changes to get out.

I'm on s.s and I can't afford to widen my driveway or take down a tree or even sell my old paid for truck to get something smaller.

How can I move with pets and find something that cost less than 700.00 a month for rent. I couldn't afford to move when rent or senior housing is 1500 a month at least plus I love my house and have been here 34 years but still paying a mortgage. These people weren't even born when I bought this house by myself.

Why should I park on the street just to leave. Why do I have to cancel plans or just give up running errands or schedule my time to get out when I can! Why do I have to spend 5 minutes trying to get out, what if I have an emergency with a pet. 

I have lived here longer than anyone else on the street and I see people come and go all the time but I have a feeling they are staying put. Everyone now is in their 30s and not friendly. Most of the women had their parents buy the house for them like across the street & next door. I'm pretty nice and very friendly but not once have they even spoken to me. All my friends on the street have moved away.  

It's not right!

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4  I hope I didn't come off as sounding heartless.  I totally get how awful a situation this is.  I know it's an expense to widen or flare out your driveway. 

But if the laws don't work for you and your neighbors are ignorant and won't work with you, it seems you're going to have to give in to something.

It looks like your neighbors tear up the side of their driveway already trying to park there.  

Look into it with your town/city of the amount of allowable vehicles per bedroom in a dwelling.  I am aware some towns do have a written code pertaining to that.

Honored Contributor

We lost the most amazing house I'd ever lived in because the character of the street changed this way.

As much as I love our new neighborhood, I'm sure I'll never  completely "leave" my beautiful house on the hill. 

Knowing that our expected grandson would be a wheelchair user, at least part time, made the decision inevitable, because the stairs were enclosed in the middle of the house, but the final blow occurred when the town zoning board decided we'd have to have a variance to increase the usable first floor size of our house, even on a 2 acre lot.

I wish someone could help you @luvmyteddy4. It's a tough way to live.