Trusted Contributor

Re: I seriously don't know what to do

@Melzie 

Also, maybe her town/city has an ombundsman specifically tasked with helping citizens solve problems like hers.

Also, maybe calling the local newspaper/TV station to bring this travesty to the attention of the public would help. 

I would be very cautious about dealing personally with individuals such as she describes as one never can predict how insufferable people such as she describes will react.

Trusted Contributor

@Melzie   I didn't realize I was responding directly to you so I answered in the third person.

My advice is the same, however.  Good Luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

If the police can't do anything and the people living there don't care and won't change their ways, I don't know what can be done. It is sad that people act this way. Since it seems to be affecting your health, I would sell my home and move into an apartment. 

You must be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I called the city years ago and they looked up my street and I was told it was smaller than most in the whole city but of course they aren't going to widen it for me.

I refuse to set foot on their property for any reason and not every day when I want to leave. Just like that Easter week, no one was even at the house for 6 days.

There was even a fire behind their house that Easter weekend. If it had been on our street the 7 firetrucks would have moved their cars for them! 

Had I known the 5 cars left at Easter for 6 days I would have had the cars ticketed for not moving them. Legally you have to move your car every 48 hours if left on the street but I had no idea they would be gone that long. I can't back into their driveways because they park 2 cars there.

Well, if you refuse to set foot on their property or knock on their door, you can stay home as a prisioner in your own house.

It does no good to complain and not take any action.  If you really wanted to move your car, you would do what you have to.

We often have to move a vehicle with a boat towed behind.  Our across the street neighbors block as as well.  If they don't move, they will get side swiped.  Trust me, they move.

There is no magic that's gonna work.  You need to ask for them to move their cars.

@CarmieDon't you read the post before commenting? She said she did go and speak to them. She should not have to keep doing that.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4  What an unfortunate situation for you, one of many that homeowners face.  Here is what I would do:

Back into your driveway.

Get the neighbors on your side of the street to help.

Take pictures and post them on Nextdoor, as well as sending them to your local politicians and the local news media, and ask all for suggestions and for any help.  Remind your politicians that you vote.  Someone knows your neighbors and can put pressure on them.

Park on the street in front of your home/their drive.  Do not worry about trash, etc. not being able to get down the street.  Someone will knock on your door and you get the opportunity to tell your story.

If you know where they work, especially if they work at a nationally-known company, let the employer know.  I realize that you might be uncomfortable, but many employers expect their workers to actually behave like adults, even at home.

Put a sign up in your yard, nicely stating the problem.  Years ago, not too far from where I live and in two beautiful homes, the two owners had a contentious relationship.  It got so bad that it made national news.  The one owner put up a fence but had all kinds of nasty grafitti on it.  When they went to sell the home, no realtor would even touch the house until all of the nasty grafitti was gone.

If you know of someone who has an extra vehicle, especially a truck, ask if they would park out front of your home for a month.  

If you know a lawyer, you might see if the actions of your neighbor constitutes harassment (if you are a senior citizen, which I have no idea, not being able to get out of your driveway might be considered life threatening).  Make a log for every time that you are not able to leave your home.  The log can be presented to an attorney, politicians, news media, special interest groups, and the number can be posted on Nextdoor.  

These are just a few things.  I hope things work out for you, but I would encourage you to start with Nextdoor.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

10 years is a long time to not being able to move your car from your driveway. I would have addressed this when it first occurred. Maybe the neighbors think it is not a problem.  You need to assert yourself and tell them you need to be able to back out of your driveway whenever you need to leave. I would not hide from this situation. Take the bull by the horns and resolve your issue. People are just so self centered they don't care about anyone.

Take care of yourself and be proactive instead of reactive.  Look into all avenues to deal with this situation once and for all.  They are intimidating you and you just let it happen.  You don't need to live in fear once you have moved forward.

Maybe you could have a sign printed and put it at the end of your driveway. It could read "Do Not Block Driveway or Your Car Will Be Towed At Your Expense." 

Honored Contributor

My husband ran into our neighbor's friend's car and they finally started being more careful about their and their guests parking practices. They are the type to have many people over and leave little room for others to get out. They just moved into their home less than a year ago. Of course this isn't the ideal situation. Just sharing your frustration.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvmyteddy4Ask the town if they can mark the parking spots on your street. That might help because they have to be a certain distance from the driveways. I would also speak to the neighbor, or write them a letter one more time, and explain the issue. If they do not respond, or continue with the same actions, then I would put it in the hands of your local town officials. Keep calling until they do something.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It’s unfortunate they aren’t more polite ... but you’re going to have to knock on their door more than twice in ten years for them to change.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought there were ordinances regarding parking w/in so many feet of driveway aprons & street parking.

At least, this is how it was when I lived in NJ.  Perhaps you can contact the city and find out.

In this crazy time in the world I don't think I'd be knocking on their door to get out of my own home -- obviously they are aware since you've spoken to them previously.