Respected Contributor

I seriously don't know what to do

I think I have hbp because of the parking situation across the street. It's been 10 years of not being able to back out of my driveway more often than not.

The neighbors driveway is directly across from mine and a couple lives there. They are in their early 30s. They have friends and company come to stay about every weekend and many people come by during the week and at night. The company is probably family from out of town, they stay days and even weeks. The problem is they park on the street and it's usually at the very end of the driveway on both sides. My street is very narrow at my end so when I back out there is not enough room. 

Sometimes the people even park at the end of their driveway. 

There have been so many times that I wanted to leave and couldn't. They know I don't have enough room and they don't care, yes I have spoken to them twice over the years but after being told its a public street and blah blah you get the picture. The police won't do anything because it is a public street.

The houses are smallish and close together. I tried parking on the street once and got my mirror torn off by someone driving through because there is not enough room to park on both sides of the street. Delivery trucks and 911 or firetrucks would not make it through. 

Yesterday when I tried to back out a man was sitting in his car and could see I was stuck. I finally honked the horn and he moved up about 5 inches, not enough. There was already a car on the other side so it have to be that way or no way.

I literally don't know what to do. What if I have an emergency! 

The cars are still there today so I can't leave.

These people went out of town for Easter and had 5 cars left there on the street and in the driveway and didn't came back for 6 days. They left in other cars.

Any suggestions, I feel at my wits end.

Please don't suggest moving, I can't afford it, have lots of pets and I'm too old. I've lived here 35 years and this is my only issue. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I seriously don't know what to do

Can you widen your driveway and perhaps that would help you get out?

You could also meet with the mayor's office and see if there is something they can do regarding parking on the street.  Perhaps limit the hours, etc.  It might help a bit.

Honored Contributor

Do what I do.  Knock on their door and politely ask them to move so you can move your car.

Explain you need to leave and don't want to damage their vehicles.

They might get tired of you knocking and park elsewhere, or they can just move their cars when you make a request.

You should not feel intimidated.  You have every right to leave your house when you want to.

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4   you have my sympathy.  Too many of us are victims of inconsiderate neighbors.  I'll call my city council person and dump the problem squarely in his lap, and I'd keep calling until the problem is fixed.  Squeeky wheel gets the oil.  Go knock on the door and tell the neighbor you need to leave and can't get out and do it everytime it's necessary.  You could also park in front of their house... public street you know. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If the police can't do anything and the people living there don't care and won't change their ways, I don't know what can be done. It is sad that people act this way. Since it seems to be affecting your health, I would sell my home and move into an apartment. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can you back into your driveway? It's a lot easier to pull forward than to back out of a tight space. If this is a public street and street parking is allowed it should be wide enough for people to back out of the driveways even with cars parked on the street. You might try having the public works department or the non emergency police come out and measure to see if this is a problem for others not just you. 

Honored Contributor

I live in a tight parking situation also. There have been several times when I could not get out of my driveway. I called the cops and told them my story...several times. Each time they came to my house to get a look at my area and then went around to look for the owners of the cars so that they could be moved. The cars were parked illegally and some were cited for violation. One time I had a car towed off my curb b/c it was blocking my exit. Do what you need to do so you can get out. It's illegal to block someone in their car from leaving their residence.

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Can you widen your driveway and perhaps that would help you get out?

You could also meet with the mayor's office and see if there is something they can do regarding parking on the street.  Perhaps limit the hours, etc.  It might help a bit.

There are trees on either side and I can't afford to widen it anyway. I was told about a disabled parking sign but the problem is it would go on my side of the street and that's not the side they park on. I wish I could afford a big fat car and just park it in front but I can't afford that either. That way they couldn't park since there is no room for both sides. That would be my biggest wish! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I called the city years ago and they looked up my street and I was told it was smaller than most in the whole city but of course they aren't going to widen it for me.

I refuse to set foot on their property for any reason and not every day when I want to leave. Just like that Easter week, no one was even at the house for 6 days.

There was even a fire behind their house that Easter weekend. If it had been on our street the 7 firetrucks would have moved their cars for them! 

Had I known the 5 cars left at Easter for 6 days I would have had the cars ticketed for not moving them. Legally you have to move your car every 48 hours if left on the street but I had no idea they would be gone that long. I can't back into their driveways because they park 2 cars there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One time I just lost it ... I couldn't back out of my driveway b/c someone blocked it. I ended up backing my car out as far as I could then I lay on my horn for several minutes, continuously until someone came out and moved that car. I didn't say a word...if looks could kill, that would have been the day.