Honored Contributor

Re: I really need to stop reading the OBITs

@BeccaLou I was responding to lovescats post. Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

I've never read them unless I knew someone specifically.  Now, we listen to the news, get local news in other ways.  I no longer get a daily paper.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@lovescats I disagree. My granddaughter died a month after her 10th birday, and my DH died 2 months before his.

My dear aunt died 89 days before her birthday. Her beloved husband died 89 days before his birthday.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Recently, 7 people that I had worked with for many years passed in a 6 week period. The oldest was 90, the youngest was 69. There's no getting out of it.

Valued Contributor

I work in a small office of about 35 people, and in 2018 we had 9 parents of employees die, my mother was one of them. That was an extra hard year and we couldn't wait for it to end. So far none this year! It was a strange time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I scan the obits daily and only read ones of those I knew.  I don't think that I don't have much time left at 66, I feel grateful and lucky that I am still here. Every day alive is a plus to be taken advantage of since so many go much younger. 

Respected Contributor

I never did see why anyone ever read them quite frankly.

Why would anyone want to read about people that are gone

that they did not care about or even ever heard of.

There is more than enough death in one’s lifetime to deal with

for those we did know or love.

Another thing people do for some reason or another I suppose,

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I don't normally read them but I often do for ones that have a picture of somebody young - like a teen bc they often say what they died from since they are so young.

Respected Contributor

First of all, 60 is the new 40, so you’re not as old as your parents were at 60. Secondly, reading the obituaries isn’t exactly light reading regardless of your age, so stop reading them if they’re getting you down. If a person you love/know dies, someone will let you know. Many of my close family died at an early age. My takeaway from that is to plan for a long life, but to live my daily life to the fullest because there are no guarantees.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are awfully young to be obsessed with the obits.  I know that many vert  elderly people read the obits.  I only read the obits when I have heard that someone I know has passed and I want funeral and wake info.  So, practically never.  I think it's become a habit with you and you need to break the habit.  Stop buying newspapers for a while.  If you don't have the paper, you won't be tempted to read the obits.  The habit will pass.