Trusted Contributor

@Luvsmyfam I always think of it as we all have different ideas of what we want to do & it's okay, she wants to do this where you & I might not ... but it's okay for us to do us & her to do her.

Esteemed Contributor

It's ok to put out the big money for the weddings, but for some reason some marriages don't last. They just can't keep up or someone else comes along. One partner loses a job and everything goes down hill because they are over extended. It goes POOF!!

We could only wish and hope that the families can survive and make it last and love each other.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like fun.  I bet they're going to have a blast.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Sometimes when things are so different from our own experiences it gives us pause. I don't think the OP was being critical, but the commenters were really piling on.

@QVCkitty1  isn't that something? People are free to Post what they think and @Luvsmyfam  did that. What's wrong with what she said?

It's funny though when everything is taken to the next level.

Oh they can afford it, so what? My kids make money.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam Actually I know a number of younger people who didn't have lavish pre-wedding activities and they certainly could afford them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Luvsmyfam Actually I know a number of younger people who didn't have lavish pre-wedding activities and they certainly could afford them.

@Love my grandkids  those are peoiple with common sense. Common sense isn't common anymore. Most of them try to impress. Give me a break.

I always heard not to look at what people have or what they do, they are the ones who can't sleep at night.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Sometimes when things are so different from our own experiences it gives us pause. I don't think the OP was being critical, but the commenters were really piling on.

Or...the commenters were presenting  a different point of view.  

"piling on" is your interpretation. 

and maybe you are being critical? 

Honored Contributor

I think some people here pretend to not understand as as a dig at a poster or we have some really clueless people. 
Her post made perfect sense and I know exactly what she's talking about. Things tend to be  more elaborate, Instagramable, performative and expensive then when I was getting married. My 24 year old has been in so many weddings, (five this summer) organized travel involved bridal showers, it's been crazy. It's definitely a different expectation then I think most of us have had.  If you don't get that, then I think you're being intentionally obtuse. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I must be a fuddy duddy

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Sounds like fun.  I bet they're going to have a blast.

They will.  I think that's why so many women on this board jump in to be critical.  They didn't have that, and don't think anyone else should.  

which goes directly back to the original post that mentions being a "fuddy duddy".  Yep! 

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam   I think nowdays there are many young professionals with a lot of money to spend.  They buy fancy cars, expensive home and have elaborate weddings for which they pay.  We just didn't have that option when we were kids.  Yep, times have definitely changed but don't worry about it as there nothing you can do about it.

Maybe she just maxed out her credit cards and will have learned an important lesson.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment