Respected Contributor

I recently attended a bridal shower,and found out the bride to be is going on a 3 day weekend with her brides maids to a resort in florida.holy moly!first thing I thought of was the cost,because it was mentioned she is paying for all the rooms!when I was married in 1974,my so called Bachelorette party was at my aunts house with my attendents.we had chips and wine.big deal! And on the night before my wedding,we had a gathering at my grandparents house after rehearsal yes,im living the way back machine

Trusted Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

I recently attended a bridal shower,and found out the bride to be is going on a 3 day weekend with her brides maids to a resort in florida.holy moly!first thing I thought of was the cost,because it was mentioned she is paying for all the rooms!when I was married in 1974,my so called Bachelorette party was at my aunts house with my attendents.we had chips and wine.big deal! And on the night before my wedding,we had a gathering at my grandparents house after rehearsal yes,im living the way back machine

I don't understand your point. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam I don't get it either, what are you saying? Why are you a fuddy duddy? Because someone has expensive and elaborate pre-wedding activities? 

Honored Contributor

Re: I must be a fuddy duddy

[ Edited ]

You had what you could afford back then.  People do things differently and some couples go all out and do it big.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  The times, they are a-changin'! My kids and nieces and nephews earn more money than I did at their age. If those friends of yours can afford a trip to FL, they can go for it!

Valued Contributor

Times have definitely changed

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids uh I guess because I don't understand young ppl s way of thinking.and as I said,I'm going back in my day,that's all

Esteemed Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

I don't understand your point. 

@paixmcdao  you really don't understand? @Luvsmyfam  is talking about the amount of money that's spent on these trips for a bridal shower. I certainly agree with her. That money could be put towards  a down payment on a house. These future brides pay all this money on bridal showers and then they beg wedding invitees to help pay for their wedding. CASH ONLY!! What's up with that?

@Luvsmyfam  stated when she got married many, many, many, many years ago  there was not much money spent on a bridal shower. That's what she meant. Easy.

Esteemed Contributor

Usually these are the ones that don't last because when the bills start pouring in, it causes problems.

Regular Contributor

Sherri Kay I get your drift--lol times are different! I got married in 84', still going strong. Our mindsets were different. I had two bridal showers a family one and a girlfriends one with a decent stripper, not quite like "magic Mike" but he was alright. Nothing more nothing else. I was satisfied didn't have to extend the festivities. Lol I know what you mean I feel like a fuddy daddy when I question things like all these long extended festivities and gender reveal parties. I had one baby shower in 85 had two more kids with no more baby showers lol. I'm fine, kids are fine I was satisfied. I didn't feel the need for attention and kept it relatively simple and private.  We are not fuddy duddies  just different mind set and times back then.