Honored Contributor

@MoJoV  I thought I would check in to see how you are feeling and healing.  Is the soreness lessening a little?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV

Very sorry to hear about your injuries. Do you know what caused you to "trip and fall" during your walk? I assume you walk regularly and possibly pretty much the same route. I understand bring on a blood thinner, and I also have been injured around the eyes enough to know they bleed a lot more than other areas that are cut or injured.

Glad you were able to get home and getting care for your  injuries and did not lose much blood. After 1 of my injuries around my eye when I was on Coumadin/Warfarin, I needed a blood transfusion. Hope the hand injury was not to your dominant hand as that makes doing things a lot harder. I unfortunately know from my many injuries how that works.

I rarely fall outside of my ice skating, but when I have, I go back to where I fell, and try to retrace how and what may have caused me to fall. I tore up my leg and butt pretty bad when I fell on our porch, during the winter, and it the pointed end of 1 of the steps. No bleeding, but lots of skin scrapes and very deep bruises. I figured out how I fell, and why later.

Don't let these things get you down, *hit happens. Whatever you do, if your walking is for exercise, do not quit because of these injuries. Have you "time to get it out of your system", then put it on your back burner.

I fell ice skating about 6 weeks ago. Broke my nose(again) and sprained my wrist(dominant one) pretty bad, so got an Xray, no fracture. My nose bled like crazy(as is common when they break), and still a little bent, but my wrist is still an issue this many weeks later.

Went back to skating after I got the bleeding stopped, and no more falls the rest of that day. There to I went to the spot on the ice I fell, and visually/mentally, went through what caused me to fall. I did figure it out, which when ice skating is not always easy.

Take care of yourself and be careful on your next walk. I just saw this, so hopefully you got your "feeling sorry for yourself", over and done with by now.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm hurting today

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Awwww. that is to bad...hope you are feeling better!  My dh is on the same drug and it is scary when he gets a cut.

Hi @Mom2Dogs,

When on a blood thinner, seeing bleeding is a good thing, as in a cut. A deep bruising or any injury where you do not see blood is the more serious type. Internal bleeding means a person needs to know their body well enough to know they are bleeding, and too many do not.

I spent 7+ long years on Coumadin/Warfarin, getting full blood draws, on average, 3 times every week. Some weeks I went all 7 days. I had many external bleeds during that time, but those were very minimal in comparison to my internal colon bleeding.

I am only saying this because I know a lot of people on thinners that are more worried about the blood they can see, than the possible injuries internally, that they do not see or even think about.

My best to you and dh,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I've had my share of spills when out walking, hiking, running.  Don't let it stop you (in the future) from getting your exercise.  

@september

AMEN!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut thanks for that information!

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@MoJoV  I thought I would check in to see how you are feeling and healing.  Is the soreness lessening a little?

@Bird mama thanks for thinking of me.  I'm getting along pretty well.  I now have a lovely black eye...not very attractive.  The swelling in my hand went down a little.  I even went for a walk this evening and didn't fall...in fact I didnt even trip!😉

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut  Thanks for your informative post (they always are) and advice to go back to where I fell.  I thought of doing just that to see if I could figure out what happened. And ,no,I'm not going to let this keep me down. That's the worst thing I could do.  Maybe I'll just take the turns a little slower. 😕

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV. Sorry about your fall and injuries. Hugs coming your way and hope all is back to “normal” soon. 💕