Respected Contributor

I'm Confused. WHY do this ...? Dead Branches ..

[ Edited ]

Hi friends,

Remember the "falling tree" problem I had with my neighbor?  (My neighbor's dying, diseased trees fell in my yard 5 years apart, damaged my house & my property and my neighbor HAPPILY said, "your insurance will pay for it."  He offered no help and no apology.)

Yesterday, when I got home, I found a neat pile of dead branches in my yard.

It was nice of them to do the clean up (for a change), since they've neglected to do so all the years they've been living next to me, and the issue did come up in our legal settlement.

However, I don't understand why someone would pile their dead branches in MY yard.

Yes, their tree debris was in my driveway, but, if you're gonna go thru the trouble, then why not put the branches in a storage bag or simply put them in the trash (which is what I ended up doing).

Did they think they were being "nice"?

I don't think so.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Confused. WHY do this ...? Dead Branches ..

My new neighbors have started doing something similar.  We have condos and my sidewalk runs past their garden, which has a tall maple tree that drops branches and twigs.  Their idea of cleaning up the branches in their garden is to pile them on my sidewalk.  They're young (20's or 30's) and not very considerate.  I quietly pick up the branches, cut them up, and dispose of them.  There are fights I could pick with them, but this isn't one of them.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't followed your tree/neighbor issue - but you mention the word 'legal action'.  So I would assume it was your neighbor's way of getting back at you.  Like.....Okay lady - you wanted the mess cleaned up - so here it is.  A spite reaction I would guess.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina I understand how you feel.I imagine they did feel that they were helping out but it sure would have been nice if they got rid of the branches.I think if it is difficult for you to cut them up why not ask them if they would mind doing that next time and put them in the trash.But be sure to thank them for helping to clean up and I am sure they will be more likely to continue.

Honored Contributor

I would not say anything to them but Thank You for putting your branches in a pile for me, it makes it so much easier for me to dispose of.  I think your neighbors are looking to get even.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I have neighbors trees leave debris in my yard all of the time and yes I find it annoying but I clean it up without saying anything.I like to be friends with everyone so as long as I am able to clean it up I dont ask for their help.Your problem with trees falling in the yard is dangerous and they do need to address that.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I would not say anything to them but Thank You for putting your branches in a pile for me, it makes it so much easier for me to dispose of.  I think your neighbors are looking to get even.

==================

Thanks for the responses.

Now, that I've thought about it, I've put myself in their shoes. 

I don't think they're trying to "get even".  I think they're trying to avoid my wrath and my lawyer.

I won't go into details, but, these people got real ugly about the matter and the whole neighborhood watched, as our "pillars of the community" showed who they really were.

I think they cleaned up not out of consideration for me, but consideration for their reputation in the community.  They don't want to disgrace themselves and exhibit any semblence of bad manners again.

At least they had the decency to do what was minimally expected of a "good" neighbor.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I think you're being a little harsh if you're referring to tree branches that fell into your yard just because it's from a tree on the neighbor's property.  Don't understand why there would be a legal agreement for that; as far as damage incurred, your insurance company would handle it.  

Leaves and branches from my neighbor's yard get blown into my yard and I clean it up without complaint.  If leaves fall into the street, we all clean them up.  No problem.  Once during a bad "Halloween Storm" the neighbor's tree fell onto another neighbor's house and there was no lawyers involved, the insurance paid.  Yes, an inconvenience, but no problem:  it is considered an "act of God".

I'm sure your neighbors felt bad that part of their tree fell onto your house a few years ago, but feeling uncomfortable probably just informed you your homeowner's would cover it. And, a tree is not necessarily dead for branches to fall as strong winds, particularly with snow covered leaves adding weight can take it down.  If you feel it's a safety hazard that your neighbor is overlooking, consult your city/town's arborist/tree warden to evaluate it and handle the situation.  I try to keep a "handle" on my trees and have paid an arborist to evaluate/trim but, no one can control "Mother Nature".

As far as branches being left on your driveway that's just plain weird.  If the neighbor cleaned up on your property that was being nice and should have followed through on that kind act by bagging/removing the debris. If the branches had been on the neighbor's property and were brought over and left in your driveway, that's illegal.  But, I'd suggest you best ignore and try to get along seeing it's your neighbors.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina that is too bad that you have so many problems with the neighbors.I think you are handling it as best you can.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina I'm sorry you have such dense,ignorant neighbors. The idea they would let a tree fall on your home is terrible.  Someone at your house could've been hurt. We had the same situation with a huge dead limb looming over my neighbors house. We had the tree taken down. I was worried every windy day it would do harm to my neighbors or their property. 

As for their piling up their debris in your yard....I'd hit the roof. I would probably throw them back over to their yard. I know how hard it is with ignorant neighbors,we've had them.  We're lucky we have good ones now.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth