Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Confused. WHY do this ...? Dead Branches ..

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

I'm a little confused and admit I haven't read all of the responses and follow-ups, but I don't know if that pile of branches came from  a tree that's on the neighbor's side and they actually fell onto the neighbor's lawn -  in which case putting them onto OP's property would be ugly character and propbably illegal. 

If, on the other hand, the tree is on the neighbor's lawn, but drops its branches and debris onto her property, they have no obligation to do the clean-up and piling the branches to make them easier to dispose of seems like a peace offering to me.

@millieshops

Good point! 

Several people brought this up at the beginning of the thread, so, I went ahead and sent the owner a very short "Thank You" for leaving the pile in my yard because it made the disposal easier for me

However, at the end of the letter, I suggested he have the tree checked for disease to avoid a recurrence of another falling tree.  It's possible, all of the trees in his yard have the same disease and will eventually fall.  One of the arborists who looked at his trees told me that the ones that fell had Phytophthora.   Two trees remain.  The others fell  either in my yard or the yard next door to him.  The other house is VACANT, so the dead tree trunk has been lying there for years.  Because of the overgrowth in that yard, I can't tell if there are two trunks or one. 

But I can see one trunk from my driveway, because it torn down part of the fence.

I wrote the letter because I wanted to let him know POLITELY, if the other trees are diseased, I would not be covering a THIRD tree falling in my yard.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Confused. WHY do this ...? Dead Branches ..

@RinaRinaYou've really done all you can!  I'd like to think that guy is going to take care of his trees, but I won't be at all surprised to hear he doesn't given your description of his yard.  Just make certain you know the laws for your specific locale -  what we know may not apply.