Respected Contributor

Re: I know I'm sensitive, but does this bother anyone else?

No, doesn't bother me. Been cooking, eating lobster all my life. We steam ours, don't boil.  They are food, just like fowl, pork, beef and other seafood.

Honored Contributor

No.  I've been eating boiled lobster and crab all my life.  I don't feel bad for them like I don't feel bad for the chicken, fish, cattle etc etc that are killed for food.  My dad always told us to put lobster in the pot head first so they don't feel anything.  I don't know if that's true.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Raw lobster sounds even worse.

Lol.  

Valued Contributor

Just because I've always wondered about this:  Do these types of "food" get thrown into a pot of boiling water without being cleaned?  And by cleaned, I mean all their insides removed?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ @I feel badly for them. I also feel two-faced because I still eat them. The only animals I don't feel badly for,when killed, are bugs. I guess, on some level, I've become desensitized when something is presented to me as a food, but while the creature is still alive, I'm not desensitized. I feel badly for cows, chickens and pigs when I see them alive and I could never kill one. I'd be petting it and making loving sounds to it, yet, once it's cooked and in my plate, I'd eat it. 

Valued Contributor

I heard a saying a long time ago: "if it does't holler, it doesn't hurt". That put it in perspective for mr.

Valued Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Cooking the lobster is no different than going fishing and letting the fish die after catching it so you can eat it for dinner that night.

My dh and I were talking about this and I mentioned I didn't like to see people slam a fish against a wall or a dock or cut off its head or something as soon as they caught them. He mentioned that it's more humane to kill (yes, KILL) it immediately than let it suffocate.

Also, the process of suffocation releases some chemicals that make the fish taste not very good, so it's better to kill them immediately and humanely.

I don't like fish anyway (and especially freshwater fish, which you couldn't pay me to eat), so it doesn't make any difference to me.

Valued Contributor

OF COURSE- It's inhumane!!!