Honored Contributor

Soon to be 75 and I have no idea about that.  I'm not into starting much, esp. electronically.  I'm looking at the finish line.  It's closer than the "start" of the race I'm in.  Hey, I like that comparison. I don't even want to look back.

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam  - Hope you enjoy getting on Tik Tok.  All ages can enjoy it and as others have stated, an account is not required.  

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
@reiki604

I’m not up to date on China, but Russia data mines to use the info to hack into accounts. They also create fake social media accounts to post controversial opinions that drive arguments and division, sometimes on even seemingly innocuous subjects.

Everyone I have contact with or care about on social media knows me in real life. If they see something untoward or unllike me, they pick up the phone or post to me their concerns. To those who don't know me or lwho I do not care about, it is none of my concern what they think about anything I post for good or not. In lthe larger scheme of things, I realize that my accounts don't really matter and are soley for my entertainment. Theyr're really not that important.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: I have a question

[ Edited ]

For those who do want to browse Tik Tok, I thought I'd post here something cute I came across.  Can I post a link?  I don't think so.  The tiktoker is motherthemountain 

and one of my fav's is called 'Oh but love grows where my duckling waddles' and another fav is 'i made my duck a raincoat' and 'flowers = tiny hats for ducks'.

I think you can search them this way if you want to see.  she has many other videos.  I find them so charming and they have a really nice aesthetic.

----------

here are the videos. decided to post them.  hope you like them:

https://www.tiktok.com/@motherthemountain/video/7049294172292975874?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1&...

https://www.tiktok.com/@motherthemountain/video/7097809986780220673?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

https://www.tiktok.com/@motherthemountain/video/7088275386978618625?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

I love them and just wanted to share.  Maybe you'll love them too.

Honored Contributor

It's for everyone.  I'm not on it but all my friends who are on their 60s and 70s are.  Lots of interesting, informative, fun content.  They spend hours on TicTok and that's why I'm not on it.  I don't need another social media habit.  

Honored Contributor

China has hacked into our government agencies at least 6 times between May 2021 and February of this year. 

So there's that. 

I guess if they want to to after the little guy, they can....

In fact, harsh words were just sent our way in the past day or so--from China.  

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I concur with @Desert Lily.  Do your research first.  You should think twice before using it.  It was created & is owned by China.

@SurferWife    @Desert Lily. There's probably a much greater chance the Chinese are spying on us through the cell phones, TV sets, computers etc that they manufactured.  Maybe they all have a microchip reporting all of your exciting and nefarious activities.  Be careful what you say within earshot of your refrigerator.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You can still buy computers, cell phones and refridgerators that aren't made in China.

I don't take China's threats lightly.  

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:
Is tiktok mainly for younger people,or do older adults such as myself(I'm 66) get on this site as well?I'm not looking to make videos,but just browsing.before I go to the trouble of setting up a account,I would like all of your opinions.thank you

@Luvsmyfam 

At this point, I wouldn't go on Tik Tok for anything.   Rather than try to explain the rather jarring information on the 60 MINUTES segment about it, you can certainly search it and see it ... not more than 12 minutes.

If you aren't interested in the actual segment, I will try to paraphrase .... supposedly the TT program was developed in a large Asian country and the sole purpose was to create an amusing and engaging program that would be downloaded ... and in that download was an astounding amount of spyware that could access all sorts of things via that device.

If anyone else here has seen the 60 Minutes episode on Tik Tok, please respond here and tell me if you think I might have accidentally exaggerated how dangerous that site might actually be .... TIA

Respected Contributor

Hi @Kachina624  On July 1, 2022, cbs news had a report that the FCC wants Google & Apple to remove the tiktok app over spying concerns. There are more reports and articles that pertain to it. So far, everyone has the option to make their own choice about the app.