Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have a challenge for you today

Lately even what would seem to be the most innocent post take a wrong turn because of nasty comments.  Some of them get deleted, but  not all of them.

Here is my challenge for all of you, if you wish to participate:

LET'S BE NICE TO EACH OTHER TODAY....CAN WE DO THAT FOR 24 HOURS?

These boards are not your job.  You do not have to respond to every post.  Let's follow the old adage for today "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

I think we all need a little kindness.  Let's be mindful of that for 24 hours.  I hope you will all participate.

Contributor

Re: I have a challenge for you today

What a wonderful idea.  I don't post very often, but read every day.  So many times replies are so nasty to a post for no reason.  Kindness doesn't cost a thing and it's priceless.

Super Contributor

GURL...  And Val in on today.  What a way to start ! ! !

Occasional Contributor

Good morning!  I absolutely agree and love that idea.  I read the posts every day and often wonder why some people lean towards being mean.  Being kind is really much easier.  Have a wonderful day!

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes,  I love Valerie also.  And yes,  I have seen borderline bullying on the board.

@bigtraps wrote:

GURL...  And Val in on today.  What a way to start ! ! !

Respected Contributor

YES!  

Honored Contributor

The forums are a place to voice opinions...good or bad. If we only said everything positive, it would become boring, like too much candy and cake...nothing new to enjoy and read. I think people would stop reading and posting. Try it and see.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

The forums are a place to voice opinions...good or bad. If we only said everything positive, it would become boring, like too much candy and cake...nothing new to enjoy and read. I think people would stop reading and posting. Try it and see.

@Shanus, I don't think OP is asking for posters to withhold their opinions I believe she is asking for civility.  There is no valid reason for Poster B's response in the following example.  Once again, it is less a matter of what is said in disagreement but how it is said.

Poster A:  That top is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.  Can't wait for it to arrive.

Poster B:  Ugh.  It is ugly.  I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that atrocity.

Poster C:  Not to my liking or taste but  enjoy wearing it.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I'll try. It's not that hard to bypass a post rather than stir up trouble. I so hoped we could talk about fashion yesterday, but nasty political statements caused threads to be shut down. My goal will be to stay on topic, and limit my criticism to valid points without being hurtful.

Respected Contributor

I am well known for voicing my opinion, but I try not to do it in a nasty way.

I can disagree with you, but I don't have to call you names or tell you that you are less intelligent than me.

It's not boring to be kind. It's just means you aren't hateful.

It's funny, but in the posts about home interiors a lot of people post "It's not my taste, but I like the clock or the curtains or the wall color.", without jumping to meanness.

We can do this!