Super Contributor

Re: I hate to admit it I'm a little scared to go to my town's "FEST"

@suzyQ3 I'm sure there a lot of reasons that people homeschool, and that there are all sorts of reasons for an increase. I just read an article that said that is one of them; I have no knowledge of homeschooling or the why or why not.

Not sure if you meant me when you referred to breathing exercises. I'm sure that's a good idea for people who are anxious. I'm not anxious, though - just stubborn. LOL

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@suzyQ3 I'm sure there a lot of reasons that people homeschool, and that there are all sorts of reasons for an increase. I just read an article that said that is one of them; I have no knowledge of homeschooling or the why or why not.

Not sure if you meant me when you referred to breathing exercises. I'm sure that's a good idea for people who are anxious. I'm not anxious, though - just stubborn. LOL

@AussieLuvr, oh, no, I was referring to the OP and anyone else experiencing such anxiety. My post was not just a response about home schooling but some thoughts for the OP.

But going back to the home schooling issue and fear of school shootings, I do think that those parents who pull their kids out of school for that reason alone are setting up their children to be fearful of life.

It's okay to worry, but not so great to put all your own fears on your children.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I remember 3 months after 9/11 i took a plane  ride to visit my parents. Someone said 'aren't you afraid?,,,,I told him, i cannot live my life in fear. 

Frequent Contributor

I just saw on the news about someone shooting at a gas station. I dont think there was a reason for it at all. Sad world.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I read the news. But I don't dwell on each new incident or shooting or anything else.

It's not that I lack empathy for victims; it's that my dwelling on them won't bring them back and would just cause me undo anxiety and fear.

On top of that, those who do dwell on these crimes end up magnifying the danger to their own lives.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Reminds me of an interesting definition of "playing it safe" ...

"Tiptoeing carefully through life .....  trying to make it safely ....  to death ..... "

Honored Contributor

i totally understand.  It is scary and I pray I'm never in one of those shooting situations.   At Mass this weekend, I actually said "I can fit under the pew" to myself.  I also look around when shopping, going to farmers markets, etc.

I worked in customer service at a midwest grocery store chain for a few years after retiring. It was somewhat common to see the bulge of a weapon on people.  One of our other stores was robbed so management was talking to all customer service reps about what to do etc.  I remember thinking about how long it would take me to enter the code to get in the vault room or to get in the electrical room and lock it or just get away.  It wasn't a pleasant thought.

Just after the Vegas massacre and a school shooting, a young man came into church dressed all in black and with a black backpack.  He never went to a pew.  He stood in the back, paced, and practiced some kind of defense moves.  Some school kids were crying. Some people were so nervous they left.  Two men (one an off duty cop) actually went to the back and stayed there all through Mass.  It turns out the young man was mentally ill but not dangerous.  

Respected Contributor

Totally agree that you should listen to your gut. Do what works for you.

I’m going to renew my carry permit and take more lessons.

In the past I’ve depended on others for protection. I have friends who carry when we trail ride just in case we get attacked by an angry mother bear or encounter a rabid raccoon. My son carries in instances he feels might warrant it.  My brother always carries (unless it’s illegal in a certain area.) I feel very safe when I’m with these people but I’m not always with them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

your story is sounds familiar to me.

when my husband and i moved to our town over 30 yrs ago the church I began to attend had a street bazaar yearly. it wasn't anything spectacular . it was 1 day  on sunday afternoon after services. when the church became to small for new people moving into our small town. this street bazaar became the focal point yearly to raise money for a new church. every year it got bigger and better. in 30 yrs the street bazaar has gowen into a town carnival that is held on our church grounds . this carnival now has quite a few big name rides, local groups that come and sing in the meal tent. over the years we have built a massive church now to accomdate all the new families that have moved into our town. this town went from a 3 stop light town to 50 stop light town, it is no longer small but growing larger every year. population use to be 2500 people last people count we are near 30,000 people maybe even more than that.

Esteemed Contributor

I did go.  I was very, very crowded as always.  No problems. Lots of police.