Respected Contributor

I guess they think I'm getting really old...

Last week I got two e-mails from a representative of my alma mater's fundraising department asking for an in-person meeting.

Today I got another saying if I don't respond to the e-mails, he will call me. Yikes!

I've already experienced "over age 75" medical care changes.

I get prepaid funeral and cremation ads in the mail every week.

What else can I expect now that I'm on multiple "over 75" lists? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: I guess they think I'm getting really old...

I would bet that he is after a remembrance donation, I have gotten a call asking for a similar consideration. I laughed and asked if they knew something that I did not. . . and then asked that they remove me from that list.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 The "over age 75 medical care changes" came as a shock to me. Perhaps your next contacts will be assisted living communities.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3   Not only do various companies think we are really old, we are!  Not long ago, I began reading statistics relating to age in the USA.  Here's one -  those of us born from 1930 to 1946 make up just less than 2% of the nation's population.  That percentage is already a few years old and I can count more people in that group I know personally who are already gone. You probably know others.

I've aged some months beyond the average age to which women lived when that census was taken; now because of the huge percentage of us who died during the pandemic stage, I've lived several years beyond the average age.  Funny, but that doesn't make me feel any younger!

Honored Contributor

What are "over 75 medical care changes"?   

Honored Contributor

College and university fund-raising has gotten especially aggressive in recent years.  Probably more so for us older ones - they want to be "remembered" in our wills.

Unfortunately for them, these tactics have the opposite effect on me.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH got an email from the university he got his MPA from from, asking him to donate a portion of his IRA to them.They said that since he's in his 70's he should consider planning ahead. They told him not to worry that his donation would not be subject to income taxes & all.

DH was so made. He said "how dare they solicit for my hard earned money".Nope,he's not giving them a dime!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ya'll manage to get on some really interesting lists! 😳

I got an alumni email last week announcing a reception for distinguished grads but I'm out of state.  Besides I donated to my university in the past. It's called tuition.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ   Very presumptuous.

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My DH got an email from the university he got his MPA from from, asking him to donate a portion of his IRA to them.They said that since he's in his 70's he should consider planning ahead. They told him not to worry that his donation would not be subject to income taxes & all.

DH was so made. He said "how dare they solicit for my hard earned money".Nope,he's not giving them a dime!!

Honored Contributor

I wasn't even thinking I was old yet.... until one of my best friends keeps saying.... "you know when we reach our age".....  

LOL!  Age is just a number and we're old if and when we feel and or think we're old.  I know the numbers and I know denial.... but honestly no matter the age, these agressive tactics that border on insulting need to be ignored.  No donations.....!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*