Esteemed Contributor

Re: I googled on Zillow my childhood home

Husband said he drove by last week and moving van was at my childhood home. I think the person who bought it from my dad in 1978 just moved out. I remember that person was about 10 years older than me, so it makes sense. Many homes in the ranch, suburban community went downhill over the years but this owner kept the home looking nice. So appreciate that. Dad bought it in 1954 for 10K. sold it in 1978 for 50K. I'm guessing the person who just moved out sold it for about 90K. Except for widows, every family on my 'block' bought homes on G.I. bill in the 50s.

I always wanted dad to upgrade. He did. Beautiful home. Tripled square footage. As a widower, his second wife had been married 5 times. But he was in love. She left him three years after marriage and received half the price of the home, which dad had paid cash for. They did that back then. Dad sold his home to help recover his financial loss. Moved into apartment. Life is peculiar sometimes. He often said he wished he would have kept his small home that was paid for.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

It made me sad to see how it fallen into disrepair after my parents sold in in the late 70's.

Esteemed Contributor

Actually I saw it on a YouTube video a year or two back, it was up for sale..   My parents sold it 20ish years ago.  I have no idea the bought/sold prices. 

It was has been bank owned for about 10 years.  Recently someone started rehabing it.

My childhood home is just a few blocks from where I live. I drive by a couple of times a year to see what's what.

Honored Contributor

I don't really have a childhood home.  I grew up in SoCal and we lived in several cities - I think my mother was the original flipper!  I was born in Pasadena and have lived in Temple City, Pomona, Monrovia, Seal Beach, Buena Park, Garden Grove, Orange, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Newport Beach.  I don't remember any of the addresses except the house we lived in when I was in high school and have no idea what price my parent's paid for any of them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Every now and then I feel nostalgic and take a ride to my childhood home.  I don't know what my parents paid for it in 1962 when I was seven and we moved there.  But I do know that it can't be worth much now.  The neighborhood, which was once lovely and safe, is now terrible. We moved out when I was 17.  I would guess that many people moved as it is now a haven for drug dealers and low income families.  Makes me sad.

Honored Contributor

It was a shack when I was growing up, still is.  In a poor town.  Not worth a lot at any time in history. 

Esteemed Contributor

My nephew lives in my childhood home. He’s done a lot of upgrades but he kept the layout. 

Honored Contributor

Yes .  We are in California.  One of the homes parents bought in 1958 brand new for 23,750.  It is worth 2.8 million!!!  all 1800sq feet of it.  The last owners bought it over 20 years ago from previous owner  for about 800,00.  Mom solf it in 1976 for about 80,000. 

Respected Contributor

My folks purchased a brand new home in 1954 in Hermosa Beach, CA for $15K. It was a small 3 bedroom 1¾ bathroom, about 1200 sq. ft. on a  hillside view lot below PCH with a 180° view from the Palos Verdes Peninsula to Malibu.  We lived there for 9 years & they sold it in 1963 for $29K, basically doubling their money.  Looking on Zillow, it doesn't look like much has changed with our old house & still the same sq. footage, though most of the other homes built at the same time on the street have become McMansion looking huge homes & it looks like the home just below added a 2nd story, so I'm sure the view is gone, but the current Zillow estimate on our old place is $2.26M.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01 wrote:

My folks purchased a brand new home in 1954 in Hermosa Beach, CA for $15K. It was a small 3 bedroom 1¾ bathroom, about 1200 sq. ft. on a  hillside view lot below PCH with a 180° view from the Palos Verdes Peninsula to Malibu.  We lived there for 9 years & they sold it in 1963 for $29K, basically doubling their money.  Looking on Zillow, it doesn't look like much has changed with our old house & still the same sq. footage, though most of the other homes built at the same time on the street have become McMansion looking huge homes & it looks like the home just below added a 2nd story, so I'm sure the view is gone, but the current Zillow estimate on our old place is $2.26M.

Shoekitty said,

wow, 29,000 in 1963 was a lot of money. A lot.  I think the up tick in california homes came in the mid 90's.  Prices are dropping a bit now, as who can afford a million dollar starter home?  I know about where your home is!  If it is on lower side of PCH...it is ocean side and most desireable. All  beach property is out of bounds.  Even beach towns like Pismo were fairly reasonable in the mid nineties.  After that, forget it.  We looked at a 1Bed 1 bath about 800 sq feet in pismo about 1994.  It was about 280,000.  Now it os a couple million.f now a 1100 sq ft mobile home in Pismo is about 480,000 plus monthly fees!!!! Most ocean view homes in Pismo today go from 3-5 million.  Who'd  a thunk it???