Trusted Contributor

I feel old--everything is getting discontinued

I have spent an awful lot of time recently trying to get parts that have been discontinued. Yesterday I went to 5 places looking for a replacement hinge for a kitchen cupboard that broke. Apparently it is a special offset hinge no longer made and/or no longer able to be purchased. If I can't find one I will have to replace 2 hinges on each of 20 cupbaord doors and 10 drawer handles. All the holes would have to be re-drilled. Can you say Big Bucks?

Next, my electric lawn shears stopped working. Tried getting a new power pack, but this too has a special end and has been discontinued by Black and Decker. 2 years ago, they stopped making the size chip that was used in my hardly-used Olympia camera. 

Boo Hiss.  I understand technology is changing, but gee I am getting older and it is costing me a lot to update.  

It alrady sucks getting old and getting those aches and pains. But this is a different kind of pain. Just wanted to vent.

Honored Contributor

Re: I feel old--everything is getting discontinued

Well, if it's an old hinge you want, go online to San Diego Hardware (originally downtown for about 100 years) now in Kearney Mesa.  They pride themselves on old hardware and/or repros.  If they don't have it or can't find it, it doesn't exist.... seriously, they are excellent and I used them exclusively when I was an antique dealer and fixing pieces of funiture.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain! I think that some newer things made now are purposely discontinued to boost sales of newer versions. Even my favorite lipstick has been discontinued and nothing exists that comes close ...except I can buy one on EBay for $150....😬

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are websites that will help you find hardware that matches an out-of-production piece.  They let you upload a photo or two.  I can't tell you offhand what they are  but I have to do a search myself, so will let you know.

Honored Contributor

I hear you.

It's so frustrating to go looking for replacement parts for something and they aren't available. 

It's frustrating to buy something (anything from a toaster to a set of towels, to a scent of candle) and within months, when you decide you love it and want more, they are not to be found. They have moved through two other newer models already. 

Drives me nuts.

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee ~ Yep, that's annoying.  When I moved in this house back in 2001 (seems weird to type that year) the house needed A LOT of work.  One of the things that needed work was the windows ~ they were original to the house (1950's).  Half the windows were the crank style and they wouldn't open.  We tried to get new cranks and you guessed it ~ nowhere to be found.  A few years later we wound up replacing all the windows.  

Don't feel bad, and don't feel old.  I think this happens more often than you think.  :-)

Honored Contributor

With me, it was outdoor landscape lights. Ours were the kind you plugged in; they had a dawn to dusk feature and gave off a brilliant white light. After 15 years, some of the lights stopped working. We wanted to get new corded lights, but all we can find are solar lights that give off a much fainter blue light.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@geegerbee

Tell me about it!  Your post brought to mind:

When I bought this house it had all original old cabinets (particle board style with pink formica coloring -- I'm sure that was the style back then).   About 6 months living here a few of the kitchen cabinets would not open or close all the way - they had the hinges that were "hidden" in the doors.  My friend took one apart so I could take to various kitchen cabinet stores, hardware, etc. -- that style was no longer made.

Answer to my dilemma -- had the kitchen remodeled.  My husband still tells the story how he sent me for new hinges & I came home with specs for complete kitchen remodel!  

Flooring started lifting in various places -- he thought I could find replacement tiles ...nope -- had all new porcelain tile flooring put in!

In my case, there are a few more things I'm keeping my 🤞🏻something happens because these are my next projects I want done😉

Honored Contributor

And......it's usually a whole lot cheaper to get a "new one" than pay the price for the discontinued "part".........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

And......it's usually a whole lot cheaper to get a "new one" than pay the price for the discontinued "part".........

Isn't that the truth!!!