Honored Contributor

Re: I don't even know what to make of this

@conlt wrote:

My mother died on August 11th and before her death I took 3 weeks of FMLA leave to care for her and then 1 week of PTO time after. When I returned to work, I was written up for poor performance. I have been in my job for 38 years, not had a write up with a corrective action plan. Only 2 verbal counseling in all of those years. . My company just merged with another and the new company is in control.  I was hurt and stunned that my boss would do this to me. I am fighting it and working out the details, but it seems when I left he went on a witch hunt to find anything that he could write me up for. I thought that was quite cruel. I don't know how people live with themselves. The only thing I can figure is because of my long tenure, they are trying to get rid of me for a lower paid employee. And he had the nerve to come to my mothers visitation and act like he cared. The whole thing makes me sick and angry. 

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm glad you took time with your Mom. You won't regret it.  Hugs to you.

It's heartless how companies treat employees these days.  State and federal legislatures have made it easier to mistreat and use employeees in the last few years too.  It's sad how far our corporate culture has fallen.

Hearing your story reminded me of a several situations where I worked, one involving me.  Over the years, it had became a huge international insurance, securities, and financial services company.  I don't fault it for growing and expanding but I do fault it for losing its direction when it comes to employees.

My friend was hospitalized for 3 weeks with a potentially deadly illness and got fired the morning she returned to work.  She'd been there 22 years and had an outstanding record (she used to report to me so I know her record).  I was appalled at how they treated her.

The following year, I returned from 7 weeks off for a knee replacement and was put on warning status.  I had been there 39 years, had a spotless record, had above average to excellent performance reviews all those years, and was promoted 9 times.  I was so angry and shocked.  I vowed to make it to the following summer when my pension would be 100%.  I did and was so glad to retire.  I never looked back though it took a long time to get over my anger.  It took the dept I was in just 6 more months to get rid of all but 1 person who was over age 55.

Esteemed Contributor

First, I want to extend my sympathy for the passing of your mother.  It is such an emotional and trying time.  What you are experiencing is despicable.  You have gotten so much good advice here, but there is one thing I would like to offer.  Have you considered contacting your state Department of Labor?

No one should be punished for taking family leave, and I am hoping someone there could tell you your rights.  They deal with issues like this all the time.  

I hope you will keep everyone informed about your progress.

You don’t deserve this cruel situation, but there are certainly some pretty bad employers out there.  

All all my best wishes to you,

Pam

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Not uncommon once you hit your 50's. Corporations get away with age discrimination all the time. Sad but true.

This is so true, I'm retired now but probably would have worked another year or 2 but I watched my former employer push out the older employees.    They have very good lawyers & know what they can get away with.    I kept getting lower & lower yearly raises & bonuses when others got huge raises & bonuses.   I was also told I was not eligible for a promotion, period.

I'm too old & tired to fight them, I have better things to do with my life.

It happens in all industries.    In fact, I know of a news reporter locally who is really struggling with his job loss.   Wrote a book about it, makes the rounds promoting it.  I fear for his sanity.   But it happens so often.    We are all eventually going to be replaced.

@conlt  So sorry for your loss.    This is really nasty of your employer but that's the way they operate if you work for a corporation.   Under normal circumstances you could probably negotiate your way out of it but I think the fix is in.   Do you know if other employees have been unfairly targeted or left suddenly?     I'm sure this is a despicable plan from the new owners.   You are probably right about your boss, he is only doing what he's told to do.   Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

How awful for them to kick a person when they are down. It appears they are trying to get rid of you. With only two prior incidents in nearly four decades, it's clear what they are up to. I hope you are able to retire at age 62 and put this in the past.

Honored Contributor

If you don't do something you will lose.

What are you going to do?

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt   I am sorry for your loss.

As for your boss, don't trust him or anything that he says.  When companies merge some of these spineless creatures will do everything and anything to ingratiate themselves with new management.  Targeting a longtime, good employee seems to be their go to move.  Even though you can appeal the report, you may not win.  Other employees probably won't back you up for fear of their own jobs.  

I have seen this first hand and have been a victim also.  It still amazes me that these people can live with themselves.  I wish yiu all the best.

Honored Contributor

@conlt 

Hello fellow HC professional, knowing that, may I add:

HC is the absolute worst for compassion / empathy to EMPLOYEES, wringing out the very last ounce of service from them, using any Perceived weakness to corporate gain, and gaming the employment relationship.

Many think just the opposite is true given the nature of the business, but I never found it to be so.

Best Wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

All, thank you for your comments and thoughts. I am going to consult an attorney as I think they violated 2 Federal Laws. I also have to evacuate for Dorian now, plan on leaving early Tuesday. My meeting with my boss and HR is on Thursday so hopefully, I will have some guidance from an attorney on how to handle that conversation. He has not finalized and I have not signed the write-up yet. 

I am not ready to retire but with my degrees and experience, recruiters will be trying to recruit me in the industry that I am in. I am fortunate for that. There are many "work at home" jobs too although I am going to miss my co-workers. 

I am kind of over the company and the way that they have treated me. When I told my brother today, he as flabbergasted. I have been through so much in the last 18 months it is almost unbelievable. I even broke out with Shingles on the face the day I signed mom up with hospice. It was awful but if my mother taught me anything, it is to fight, and fight I do. I know both her and dad are in heaven but with me in every decision that I have to make. I will be OK. 

Trusted Contributor

@conlt 

FMLA is Federal law & I would advise you to retain an attorney now to handle this. Have you yourself formally grieved it with HR?

Keep meticulous records for the attorney. Have a note pad and pen in hand whenever your boss addresses you, in a group setting and most certainly in private. Ask for the door to remain open if it is just the two of you.

Good luck, and I am sorry you have to deal with this on top of your mother's loss. Keep us posted on how you are doing. We don't need to know every detail, but we want to know that you are okay Heart.

love,

dee

Esteemed Contributor

@conlt  Sorry to read about the loss of your mother.

Please find an attorney who specializes in Employee Law.

You should have a consultation ASAP. Employment cases have a filing time frame.

The EEOC has a website. It will have info about process of filing a charge.