Honored Contributor

Re: I don't even know what to make of this

Another question? did you sign your review? By not signing it tells hughter ups that there is a problem. You really need an attorney. And as another said don't wait.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

@conlt I am so sorry for your loss of your mother.  You know you only have one biological mother so your loss is immense.  I have seen the 30-day letter and how it usually works in employment,  It follows the legal rule so that the company can show it counseled improvement.  However, this is usually the last piece before you are deemed to have shown no improvement, no matter how efficient you are.  They want you out.  My 25 year employment ended somewhat in the same way about 20 years ago.  I never had a bad review on record but the 30 day letter is counted as a bad review, even all the years you were employed.  I know this is a difficult time for you, but you may want to contact an employment lawyer just to see what your options are.  Becareful to try and find a law firm comes with a good recommendation.  Do your reasearch.  By the end of the 30 days you may not have the emotional stamina to go further,especially with the loss of your mother already taking so much out of you.  You may be shuned by others are your workplace who know your situation, etc.  You are right not to trust.  Be prepared no matter how hard you try, there may be that nothing good comes of this    Good luck to you.  I know this is trite but sometimes bad things happen and good things follow.  Make sure you get a decent recommendation as part of your end of service.

Esteemed Contributor

I think a lawyer might be premature. I would do what ever I had to do to correct the action cited, and see what happens. Employers have a lot of leeway as long as they don't discriminate (age, gender, sexual orientation etc.) They are very aware of this and will be sure there is nothing attributed to discrimination. Do your job, and make them work hard if they want to get rid of you. One of my older co-workers went through this for several years. She did not give in, and they let up on her. They do not want a case of age discrimination against them that would be a big problem.

Honored Contributor

People are so leary about getting an attorney. An attorney would not be premature.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

I see no problem seeking counsel from the appropriate legal representation.  Though you may not need them to take any action, the will give you understanding of the law governing your particular circumstance and your options.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is there any validity to the write-up for your performance - specifically is what they are saying is poor performance a valid issue? Normally, a person would receive a verbal discussion first if a supervisor thinks there is a performance problem. It doesn't sound like anything was said to you previously.

I agree with others about staying away from HR, unless you know that they are employee-friendly. If there is absolutely nothing valid to the company's warning, then I would document exactly why they are wrong, and I'd seek the advice of an employment/labor lawyer. This sounds like the classic "workforce cutting", but you can't know that for sure. You don't want to get into a sticky situation and say the wrong thing, so get some outside help.

Best of luck to you at this difficult time.

Edited: one more thing....a number of years ago I was demoted from a management position to a lesser management position. It was clearly a sex discrimination issue, but I didn't pursue it because I didn't want to jeopardize losing my job, my salary and benefits. To this day, I still regret not doing anything about standing up for myself and seeking the advice from an attorney. I should have done that.

Honored Contributor

@conlt   First and most important, so sorry for the loss of your Mother. It’s devasting and you were within your rights as a loving daughter to take time to care for her and time afterwards to grieve (one week’s not ample, IMO).

Whatever happened to a “good ole sit down” with the higher ups to discuss this matter? It sounds to me, at this point, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie Yes, I am 61 years if age, 

Respected Contributor

@Gracies Mom that is awful. The way I was treated made me feel like I was nothing. I have so many awards from the other company for outstanding performance, 2 X the best in the state out of 30 in a 5 year period. I am fighting the details of the write-up because the performance issues and goals are very vague and if I sign in that way there is a broad spectrum of things that they could fire me for. 

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 This is very sound advice, thank you.