Respected Contributor

I don't even know what to make of this

My mother died on August 11th and before her death I took 3 weeks of FMLA leave to care for her and then 1 week of PTO time after. When I returned to work, I was written up for poor performance. I have been in my job for 38 years, not had a write up with a corrective action plan. Only 2 verbal counseling in all of those years. . My company just merged with another and the new company is in control.  I was hurt and stunned that my boss would do this to me. I am fighting it and working out the details, but it seems when I left he went on a witch hunt to find anything that he could write me up for. I thought that was quite cruel. I don't know how people live with themselves. The only thing I can figure is because of my long tenure, they are trying to get rid of me for a lower paid employee. And he had the nerve to come to my mothers visitation and act like he cared. The whole thing makes me sick and angry. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: I don't even know what to make of this

@conlt  I am so very sorry....for the passing of your mother and for what you are going through at work.  Sounds like you are handling it well with fighting it, etc.  I've spent years in the corporate world, sadly to say I hear stuff like this all the time.  Hang in there.  Be gentle with yourself.

Honored Contributor

Are you still employed?

Trusted Contributor

@conlt  ....i am so sorry this is happening to you at such a sad time in your life.  I have no suggestions.  Just sending you a big hug...letting you know that I care.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom Yes, I have 30 days to correct. I don't trust him. 

Respected Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian Thank you, I have read about the FMLA law on the Internet and realize, this type of thing happens frequently. .

Honored Contributor

@conlt PLEASE contact an attorney who specializes in Labor Relations Law. Don't go to a "general practice" attorney.  I was a legal secretary for many years and urge you to do this PRONTO to protect yourself!!

Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

@sidsmom Yes, I have 30 days to correct. I don't trust him. 

@conlt Document everything.  If you have a legal aid clinic or can afford an attorney you might want a consultation?  Sometimes if companies/managers know that the employee has representation, knows the laws, etc. it evens the playing field a bit.  Hang in there.  You are dealing with a lot, be gentle with yourself.

Honored Contributor

Not uncommon once you hit your 50's. Corporations get away with age discrimination all the time. Sad but true.

Frequent Contributor

Based on your long tenure, I am assuming you are over 40.  You have rights under both FMLA and ADEA (Age Discrimination in Employment Act).  This has the earmarks of a retaliatory or pretextual adverse employment action.  Do not wait until the end of the 30 day period.  Seek the advice of an employment lawyer now so you will be prepared should this situation turn into a termination.  Good luck.