Trusted Contributor

Re: I don't even know what to make of this

employers today are really out to getpeople.  they have no respect for the person at  all. i am so sorry that  you have to deal with  this.

Respected Contributor

So I am going to contact the Chief Compliance Officer on Monday because I believe what he is asking me to do in my plan violates the Conditions of Participation of the Medicare Program. We bill Medicare for our services. I had a meeting this week with HR and him this week and I was able to discredit part of the plan. He had relied on wrong information and put the wrong information in my plan. Stating that I did not understand an aspect of my job. I was able to prove with documentation, from an audit that I had in June, that the information he put on my plan was incorrect and I argued the correct answer. I am hitting him hard. If I am correct about the violation of the Conditions of Participation in the Medicare Program then I believe he will be counseled if not in trouble himself because he is supposed to know this information. Wish me luck! 

I also spoke to a lawyer about defrauding Medicare and he said I only have a case if I can give him about 50 patient charts that can be proven that correct care has not been provided to patients. I can't give him that yet because we have not de-fraud Medicare but what my boss is asking me to do, in my opinion, would produce false claims to Medicare. I read our compliance department rules and it says "if an employee suspects fraud than the employee is bound to report it or the employee can face disciplinary action". If and employee reports suspected fraud the employee cannot be retaliated against for reporting it. I am trying to get this guy fired and I am sure he is not going to be to happy but I have nothing to lose at this point. I have more knowledge than he does in our field of work and I can spin circles around him with the regulations. I did bring this up on my call with him and HR and I don't think he understood what the Conditions of Participation meant. So he dismissed that complaint, I am going higher. 

Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

So I am going to contact the Chief Compliance Officer on Monday because I believe what he is asking me to do in my plan violates the Conditions of Participation of the Medicare Program. We bill Medicare for our services. I had a meeting this week with HR and him this week and I was able to discredit part of the plan. He had relied on wrong information and put the wrong information in my plan. Stating that I did not understand an aspect of my job. I was able to prove with documentation, from an audit that I had in June, that the information he put on my plan was incorrect and I argued the correct answer. I am hitting him hard. If I am correct about the violation of the Conditions of Participation in the Medicare Program then I believe he will be counseled if not in trouble himself because he is supposed to know this information. Wish me luck! 

I also spoke to a lawyer about defrauding Medicare and he said I only have a case if I can give him about 50 patient charts that can be proven that correct care has not been provided to patients. I can't give him that yet because we have not de-fraud Medicare but what my boss is asking me to do, in my opinion, would produce false claims to Medicare. I read our compliance department rules and it says "if an employee suspects fraud than the employee is bound to report it or the employee can face disciplinary action". If and employee reports suspected fraud the employee cannot be retaliated against for reporting it. I am trying to get this guy fired and I am sure he is not going to be to happy but I have nothing to lose at this point. I have more knowledge than he does in our field of work and I can spin circles around him with the regulations. I did bring this up on my call with him and HR and I don't think he understood what the Conditions of Participation meant. So he dismissed that complaint, I am going higher. 

@conlt     You go, girl!!!!!! I am proud of you!

Valued Contributor

@conlt knowledge is power!  My best to you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt  I would leave ASAP. Why talk? How can you prove anything? I would.talk to the attorney about a great exit package. 

Please read about "workplace bullying" at Wikpedia.

Respected Contributor

@de1rdre @conlt 

As a former HR Manager, I can't agree more with @de1rdre 

See an attorney,pronto

Honored Contributor

@conlt 

I’m only on for a minute, but want to say, ai think you may have grounds for an EEOC case.  I would surely contact the DOL.

Glad you are giving them a run for their $

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I hate to tell you this, but corporations don't care about employees .. especially older ones.  "Seniority" and "years of service" mean one thing;  it's time for you to go!

Your company could've had a representative come to your mom's service, send flowers and cards and still written you up.

They don't care.

That's how companies are these days.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Well for those of you who have been encouraging me on this issue, thank you again. I did call compliance and my boss was spoken to and he can not hold me to the number ranges that I argued violated Medicare guidelines. He also cannot retaliate for me reporting him to compliance. He was very nice today. That is 2 things that I was able to disprove him on. I am making progress with this. 

I guess now he knows if he steps out of line, I will go above his head. For the person that said I needed to go, I am not worthless just because I am 61. I am a valuable person with much to give to those I work with and the patients that we serve. I will fight to the bitter end! 

Trusted Contributor

So pleased to hear about this, although I'm sure it's still stressful.  This way, if you decide to leave in the future, it will be on your terms.