Esteemed Contributor

Re: I don't even know what to make of this

I am sorry you have to go though this while mourning the loss of your mother. As long as it is not related to the FMLA he can do it. Stay strong, and please keep us posted. Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

I don’t understand how this can be a ‘legal’ thing.

If there was something which needs to be corrected,

it needs to be corrected, yes?

I would hate to have the OP get fired from a 38-yr position

which could have easily been fixed by acknowledging 

a written writeup.  Could pride be clouding the judgement?

Honored Contributor

@conlt .........I think your assumption is totally correct.  The new company probably told your boss (s) to cut the fat.  Since you are a long term employee you most likely make a lot more than a new hire would.  Also, depending on your age you may cost the company more for health insurance.

Its a cruel world out there. 

I am very sorry about your mother.  God bless you and your family.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Wow! I agree about consulting an attorney. New owners may be wanting to rid themselves of higher paid employees who have been with the company many years. 

Im so sorry for your heartbreaking loss and for the company to pull this when you are at your most vulnerable, is despicable 

Honored Contributor

OP:  Did they offer details of your "poor performance"?  And what you need to do to correct it?

Honored Contributor

If it is a witch hunt they are not going to give up. The stress may not be worth fighting it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

OP:  Did they offer details of your "poor performance"?  And what you need to do to correct it?

That would be my question.

Also, are your financial affairs with the company rock solid, e.g., having a retirement plan, pension, IRA??

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry about the loss of your Mom--and what you went through at your job.

I also had a problem when I took time off from my job because of side effects from radiation to treat my cancer on top of my Mom dying in a hospital 100 miles from me. I was a per diem employee and I was not paid for the 1 1/2 months I was away from my job.

When I got back, my boss called me in to review my job performance. I always had outstanding reviews. This time was less than outstanding (our raises depended on our reviews)--my boss told me she could not give me an outstanding review because I did not volunteer any time in the last few months to anything the hospital (I worked for) was invloved in--I didn't volunteer in the gift shop or at their charity golf outings or participate in anything to benefit the hospital. I was FLOORED! I had been fighting cancer for the second time--surgery, radiation---and trying to deal with my mother's issues--breaking her arm and leg, her surgeries, hospitalization, finding a rehab then a nursing home--and finally dealing with her in the hospital in a coma--while my having intestinal and bladder problems from radiation. I could barely go to work--and then I could not at one point--and I was being picked on and admonished for not volunteering--which had nothing to do with my actual job--I was a medical records coder. On top of that, my boss acted snarky and mean---what a nightmare. I argued with her about the unfairness of this--she wouldn't budge. I thought about it that night and discussed it with my husband---we both decided I should quit--no job is worth my health and I had my Mom to take care of--and so that's what I did--handed in my letter of resignation the next morning--my boss locked her office door as I packed up my desk--she did not want me to say goodbye to her--unbelievable, right? I was very sad and angry--but had more important stuff to dela with----my Mom passed away within a few days of all that and I had my mind on that for awhile. In the end, my boss got hers---Mrs Big Shot was fired--I never got the details--but that doesn't matter--the fact is that karma got her big time. I had heard she did others wrong too--and quite a few quit after I did. At that point, I decided to retire and here I am--five years later--still fighting cancer--Mom is hopefully resting in peace. I shall never forget what happened and how the career I worked so hard for ended.

Valued Contributor

I agree, get an attorney. These companies don't care about their employees. Then they expect you to be loyal?? Sounds like they are looking for an excuse for someone that has been with them a long time. Then they can hire someone to take your place at a lower wage. They forget about the knowledge that it takes years to learn. I'm sorry for your loss & having to go back to work & be treated the way you are. Keep fighting. Yes, it does happen too often!

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

That would be my question.

Also, are your financial affairs with the company rock solid, e.g., having a retirement plan, pension, IRA??

ITA.

I would want to know exactly what constituted ‘poor performance’

so I could correct & move forward.  The ‘fight it’ & attorney talk

is very puffy-chested but if this is something which really IS 

poor performance, than there’s nothing an attorney can do.  

I would bend over backwards to right the wrong they are suggested.

If anything, that gives you more leverage if a termination happens.

I would hate to see a 38-yr career gone just for not complying

to a justifiable write up.