Trusted Contributor

Re: I'd like to see the phrase "no brainer" disappear.

@qualitygalThat phrase has been around for 20+ years and in all that time, since the first time I heard it, I NEVER liked it. I'd heart your post 10 times if that was possible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm another who dislikes reach out to.  I get a visual of a person grabbing onto someone as they pass by, clinging to them, grasping at their clothing, hanging onto their arm or leg while the someone tries desperately to get away. 

There is nothing wrong with contact whomever or make contact with whomever. Would you reach out to your trash collector, bank, electric company or would you just contact them?

Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm another who dislikes reach out to.  I get a visual of a person grabbing onto someone as they pass by, clinging to them, grasping at their clothing, hanging onto their arm or leg while the someone tries desperately to get away. 

There is nothing wrong with contact whomever or make contact with whomever. Would you reach out to your trash collector, bank, electric company or would you just contact them?

The first paragraph of your reply caused me to burst out in laughter.I truely needed that, thank you.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It's a phrase I use.  Not often but I find it appropiate in certain instances.  I'm sure I'll use it again.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Generally, I guess I'm not bothered by any phrase that comes to mind.

However, I have great disdain for cliches.    If somebody can't use their own words, then just leave me out of it.    Cliches just make me cringe.

Sometimes I see whole threads here of pictures with cliches on them.   I get that it is not negative intent, so I just pass on by.   But, seriously - if I am going to find any meaning behind anything somebody says to me I need for them to use their own words.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Reach out, ugh.  Also, all corporate-eze.  Real top execs don't use that fake MBA language.

Super Contributor

I want to see the phrase "baby bump" disappear.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Yes...and the word "basically".....I guess I'm like Judge Judy with that word...

Oh my gosh, I was going to say the same thing!  Love JJ when she stops someone who is saying that.  Just say what you're going to!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zita wrote:

Two corporate-eze type words making the rounds:

"reach out"    as in, "I reached out to her."  Why not just I called her.  ??

"to your point"  as in," to your point, I have to add my agreement."  Why not simply I agree with you.   ??

Yeah, what's w/the reach out, dramatic stuff?  Just......I contacted, I called, I emailed, etc etc.