Respected Contributor

I'd give ANYTHING for a good night's sleep

I swear, my sweet, cute, adorable little kitty cat, Missy, must have radar. She knows exactly when I'm starting to doze off at night and that's when she starts howling and carrying on. And often she does it again the middle of the night, which of course wakes me up. And then I can't get back to sleep.

I'm SO tired of going through the day in a fog, feeling tired all the time, just because Missy feels like yowling at all hours. I sometimes keep her out of my bedroom so I can get some sleep but then I feel guilty because I know she really wants to sleep with me.

I can't win.

Valued Contributor

Re: I'd give ANYTHING for a good night's sleep

I could have written your post word for word! That was me last night. Tonight, I am taking Benadryl and closing the door, but not until I open another can of food for him❣️
Today when he tried to sleep all day, I'd go get him to play, trying to tire him out. I really hope it works! Thank goodness for the Hallmark Channel at 3:30am!

I wish us both good luck!  😴😻

Respected Contributor

I feel your pain. I have 3 cats all who are jumping or yowling during the night (since they sleep all day.) Last night 2 of them had a fight in the bed. I have an 8 year old male who has been neutered and doesn't know it. He kept after my female in the beginning, so I gave him an old housecoat to "cuddle" with. He drags it around the house yowling and has his way with it. Very funny but not good for me to sleep. I've had cats for over 30 years aand so I guess no good sleep for me for awhile.

Honored Contributor

I have allergies and can't let any pet sleep with me.  It's just the way that it is.  I think if you show them early on where they will sleep there shouldn't be any problems but I understand people like having their pets sleep with them.

Since you've established that the cat is welcome into your bedroom at night maybe you can take a nap in the afternoon when your cat is asleep?

Trusted Contributor

Wow, sounds like my kitty, Melvin.  He does get annoying at times, when he wants to eat and if I close the door to my bedroom....he howls for me to open it.  Can't win either.  So I am up at 4 in the morning because that is the time he wants to eat.

That is why I try to get a nap in.  Otherwise I'm foggy all day.  Furbabies are so special...love them all!!

Honored Contributor

I've had 3 cats in my liftime.  Neither of them knew bedrooms existed!  All they knew was that we disappeared behind a door.  Bedroom is out of bounds for cats.  I do not want cat hair & litter anywhere near my beds.

I've always had an automatic cat feeder = no night time meowing or howling.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I have one who sings to her toys. She walks around with them in her mouth and drops them at her feet and yells at them. I guess they've been very bad toys. She usually starts early in the morning or waits until my husband is on a conference call.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac Love your rules!    Never had cats but dogs have known their place - and it's not in my bed. 

Esteemed Contributor

We recently adopted our kitty Winston, right before everything closed down.  We are retired and were very lonely after our previous kitty crossed The Bridge.

He is a doll, and we love him so much.  But two nights in a row, he startled us by waking us up by coming to us and yowling.  He had a toy mouse to show us.  That particular mousie was removed from his pile of toys, and we haven’t had

a problem since.  We’ll see.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten Your kitty sounds adorable.  But a decent night's sleep is important to your physical and emotional well-being.  If it were me, the cat would not be in my bedroom at night.  

it's not a sign you love her any less...just that you recognize your own needs, too.

Hope you figure out a solution that works for you.