Trusted Contributor

@ID2  Yes to super short pixie!  Can you help out a sister?  How do you cut around your ears....shears or trimmer?  I have both.  I really need to tackle the sideburns and over the ears.  I have the bangs mastered.  This could go so wrong so fast....I wear glasses which will help hide some sins (if one believes in sins) but I'll have to cut without out them and now you see (pun intended) how this could be a disaster!  Any helpful tips?  Thank You!

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@ID2  Yes to super short pixie!  Can you help out a sister?  How do you cut around your ears....shears or trimmer?  I have both.  I really need to tackle the sideburns and over the ears.  I have the bangs mastered.  This could go so wrong so fast....I wear glasses which will help hide some sins (if one believes in sins) but I'll have to cut without out them and now you see (pun intended) how this could be a disaster!  Any helpful tips?  Thank You!

@Misplaced Parisian   How do you do the back?

Honored Contributor

Re: I cut my hair

[ Edited ]

@Misplaced Parisian    When you cut around your ears, use shears.  Comb the hair in front of the eat towards the back.  Trim lightly around the front of the ear.

Now, comb the hair behind the ear forward and cut that hair lightly around the ears as well.  Check out your work.  If you need to clean it up..do that with shears.  Only cut a little at a time using the front part of the shears.  

It's easy if you go slow..just don't make any huge cuts...cut a little at a time.  

Oh forgot...cut wet hair only. If it dries,,wet it again.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  Right now the back isn't bothering me....it's the sideburns and over the ears.  

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie  Bless Your Heat!  Thank you very much for sharing your expertise with me.  I truly appreciate it.  You are a kind soul.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian 

I’m not @ID2 but I’ll tell you what I did. I cut my fairly short pixie a week or so ago and I used shears everywhere except for shaving my neck. I did that part with electric clippers. I’m afraid to use those clippers anywhere else on my head - too easy to cut too much that way.  Instead, I moved around cutting here and there with barber shears.  Used the same scissors around my ears, then kind of fringed it by holding away from my head and clipping.  I have a mirror attached to the wall that pulls out and lets me see the back of my head in the bathroom mirror, which was a BIG help.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@Travone, you are a brave woman! 

My dh just made the comment, "I'm afraid we are going to have to start cutting my own hair"

Not me. 

I have below shoulder length, layered and highlighted hair. I also need it thinned out every so often. 

I'm gonna be looking wild if this goes on several months, I guess I will just try to wear it up. This will be a way to see what it looks like long, as I have neer worn it longer than it is now. 

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags  Sweetie!  Thank you very much for sharing with me.  This is so kind of you.  I greatly appreciate it.  You are inspiring me.  I plan to do a trim this weekend.  Squeals of glee.  Thank you.  Your haircut sounds adorable.  Be Well.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I have a very short bob with it layered a little in the back.  I trimmed my neckline and shaved the back of my neck the other day.  I can handle a lot but not a shaggy neckline.  It turned out great.

@CalminHeart   I did the same thing a month ago. The same short bob growing out and the mullet look was happening. DH held the hand mirror so I could see the back in the in large mirror above bathroom sink. With sharp scissors, a clean straight cut across the neckline. He shaved my neck with his sideburn trimmer. 

I'm so glad DH helped you.  I don't like the mullett thing either.  

I didn't have help which made it extra fun (not).  After I got my BA, I went to cosmetology school but that was in the mid 70s. I didn't stick with it for more than a few months and then I went to work in my field of study.  I know just enough to be dangerous to my hair.  

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I don't know why everyone is having a fit about their hair! Hair grows, that's what happens. I wear my hair is very, very short pixie with spiky on top. Colored and highlighted. I always cut my hair. Have been for years. No biggie. 

Count yourself lucky.  Not everyone cuts their own or has the eye for it.