Respected Contributor

Re: I can't stand tardiness.

I can't stand to be late either. I'm almost always, at least 15 min early, usually more like 30 minutes. I attended a funeral today, I think I was 45min early. My DIL likes to walk in at the last minute. Even if she is meeting me somewhere to ride with me, she gets there on time, but usually suggests we stop for a coke, just cuz she knows we have extra time. I used to carpool with a lady that was ALWAYS late, THAT drove me nuts to be late to work. That's why I prefer to always go alone-anywhere!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If someone is late (if I'm driving) or meeting them I am not so forgiving after a 10 minutes -- or so.

I have stopped socializing with people who are consistently late & honestly, really didn't care.  Obviously, our time wasn't as "important" as I thought😮

Frequent Contributor

How odd!  I think if this had happened to me, I'd be worried for her welfare instead of posting a scathing attack on her character without even knowing what happened!

No way could I ever be friends with such a judgemental person who jumps to conclusions without knowing the facts.  If your friend really did show up late on purpose then obviously she has no respect for you and you need to just move on.   

Respected Contributor

@Chrystaltree wrote: Here it is almost 2pm, I've been sitting here waiting for my friend to come since 1pm.  We've had this lunch/shopping date planned since Dec.  She said she would drive.  Two "only my way" texts and she still isn't here.  It's a nice day and I don't want to waste it waiting for her.  When she does finally get here, I know I'll be in a bad mood.  The good thing is that I'm not at the restaurant waiting for her to roll in 45 minutes late which has  happened.  I think in 15 minutes if she isn't here, I'll call it off and just go out by myself for a bit and then come back and make the lasagna I'm taking to a birthday party tomorrow.  

While Chrystaltree probably meant "on my way" texts, her friend was obviously okay enough to text her @vacationday

Frequent Contributor

Well how odd that chyrstaltree never came back to tell us that her friend was all right or maybe suffered some terrible accident on the way or had some terrible news from a family member that necessitated she be elsewhere.  Friends give one another the benefit of the doubt. 

Respected Contributor

Tardiness of 10-15 minutes or so isn’t a problem for me.  An hour or more would test my patience and make me worry. If you know someone is often late, maybe try telling them to come a half hour earlier. (Not making light of tardiness, just looking to problem solve here.)

I recently read an article that stated people who are always late tend to be positive people. They always think they can get more done than is realistically possible before leaving to meet someone.  

For me, the only reason important enough to end a friendship is not being loyal. If I find out someone I consider to be a very close friend is putting me down behind my back, or revealing things I’ve told them in confidence, I’m done with them.  I’ve walked away from two close friends in my life because of this. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree...you waited 45 minutes longer than I would have. You are obviously a more patient woman than I!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Tardiness of 10-15 minutes or so isn’t a problem for me.  An hour or more would test my patience and make me worry. If you know someone is often late, maybe try telling them to come a half hour earlier. (Not making light of tardiness, just looking to problem solve here.)

I recently read an article that stated people who are always late tend to be positive people. They always think they can get more done than is realistically possible before leaving to meet someone.  

For me, the only reason important enough to end a friendship is not being loyal. If I find out someone I consider to be a very close friend is putting me down behind my back, or revealing things I’ve told them in confidence, I’m done with them.  I’ve walked away from two close friends in my life because of this. 

@Kalli I believe this is a question of time management skills (or lack thereof). My husband is like this. He always underestimates the time it's going to take him to get ready and inevitably has to rush like mad to make it somewhere because he didn't allow himself enough time.

Esteemed Contributor

The first time or 2 someone was very late an accident or emergency would be my first thought.  However, after the 10th time that would not be my first deduction.

My hairdresser apologized to me for  having to wait because her prior client was late. A common occurance with this client. She said your always on time. My response was if I'm late and haven't called you I'm either in a ditch or dead..

Esteemed Contributor

People who are continually late just don't seem to get it. I'd do the same thing that has been suggested. I'd put a note on the front door and let her know since she didn't show up, you went ahead on your own. Waiting around for her and probably not even getting an apology is the same as accepting her horrible behavior. At some point, it's time to stop accepting that behavior.