Honored Contributor

Re: I am so mad at our system need to vent!

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@151949 wrote:

First of all - lawyers do not take 25 to 33 % - they get a fee that is set by SS. and only if they win. He NEEDS legal representation , period!  i agree it sounds like he was only given a short term disability the first time and he should have started the application process for full SSD during that period. Anyway , he has nothing to lose by getting an attorney to handle this for him, since he doesn't seem inclined to do it for himself.The lawyers will take care of contacting the doctors and getting the necessary statements etc.

Lawyers do deserve to be paid for their work, you know.

The system is not flawed and , no they do not give illegal aliens SS benefits-- honestly do you people have no common sense? To apply for any benefit from SS one has to show a picture ID - a birth certificate and their SS card. How does an illegal do that????? Your BIL or some representative from your family should have been applying for his permanent disability already. Since you all did not do that you are in this situation now, and instead of doing the intelligent thing - get a lawyer - instead you start ranting about it being too expensive and how only illegals get benefits. There is one of those wise old sayings that apply here : God helps those who helps themselves.

Pretty sad and pathetic from someone who claims to have been a nurse. You must have been a real gem to work with. Ever hear of caring, empathy, or compassion for those who are less fortunate than you?  Keep sticking up the illegals and show your ignorance.

I'm not sure how caring empathy or compassion will help resolve this situation.  What will resolve it is essentially doing as she suggested - hiring an attorney and applying for disability - which, as noted, should have been done already.

Sometimes I wonder if people really want to solve their problems - or if they just prefer to wallow in them - soaking up the caring, empathy and compassion - that actually does them no real good.

Clearly some people prefer the DRAMA over any actual solutions. 

Trusted Contributor

@Kelseys Mimi    It is very important that your Son-in-law find a Disability attorney!!  They will charge a fee that is payable AFTER he has been awarded Permanent Disability.  The Judge determines the atty payment, usually 25% of the total award.  Say SIL is awarded perm disability status and a monetary award, dating back to file date, of 100,000 SOCIAL SECURITY sends the attorney the fee the JUDGE decides on. 25,000 to atty, 75,000 to SIL. ATTY can ask you for more, but absolutely DO NOT pay more.

It took several years and many Dr appts (paid by SocialSecurity) before I was awarded permanent benefits. Stay the course, if need be object to any denial. 

Honored Contributor

This is incorrect information. The maximum amount that any attorney can charge for this is determined yearly by SS - I won almost a whole 2 years SS payments and my attorneys fee was $4800 which was the max at that time from the $45,600 that was my total paid.

Valued Contributor

@Susan-QVC wrote:
This post has been removed by QVC unkind

Unkind? maybe Truthful: DEFINITELY.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@151949 wrote:

First of all - lawyers do not take 25 to 33 % - they get a fee that is set by SS. and only if they win. He NEEDS legal representation , period!  i agree it sounds like he was only given a short term disability the first time and he should have started the application process for full SSD during that period. Anyway , he has nothing to lose by getting an attorney to handle this for him, since he doesn't seem inclined to do it for himself.The lawyers will take care of contacting the doctors and getting the necessary statements etc.

The system is not flawed and , no they do not give illegal aliens SS benefits-- honestly do you people have no common sense? To apply for any benefit from SS one has to show a picture ID - a birth certificate and their SS card. How does an illegal do that????? Your BIL or some representative from your family should have been applying for his permanent disability already. Since you all did not do that you are in this situation now, and instead of doing the intelligent thing - get a lawyer - instead you start ranting about it being too expensive and how only illegals get benefits. There is one of those wise old sayings that apply here : God helps those who helps themselves.

Pretty sad and pathetic from someone who claims to have been a nurse. You must have been a real gem to work with. Ever hear of caring, empathy, or compassion for those who are less fortunate than you?  Keep sticking up the illegals and show your ignorance.

I'm not sure how caring empathy or compassion will help resolve this situation.  What will resolve it is essentially doing as she suggested - hiring an attorney and applying for disability - which, as noted, should have been done already.

Sometimes I wonder if people really want to solve their problems - or if they just prefer to wallow in them - soaking up the caring, empathy and compassion - that actually does them no real good.

Clearly some people prefer the DRAMA over any actual solutions. 

Oh.the.irony.

Honored Contributor

I just googled it and the max amount an attorney can charge this year is $6000. The amount does change year to year and is determined by SS.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@151949 wrote:

+

Nice display of comapassion, and this from a former nurse. 

SOMETIMES the FACTS are more important.  AND WHAT WAS PROVIDED IS FACTUAL.  This benefits any newcomer as well as the OP.

Read this post again. It was hateful and mean, especially from someone who spent years in the healthcare field and should know the trauma and stress and confusion that those dealing with serious illness sometimes face.

I don't care where "someone" I don't know spent their career.  The OP has got to get on the ball with the SSDI.  IT'S JUST THAT SIMPLE.  This is a call to action on behalf of the SIL and NOT THE ORIGINAL POSTER.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

There are procedures in place that will allow him to prove that his disability benefits need to continue.  You seem to be saying that he should not have to go through this,process because he needs these benefits.  I am sure he does but there are requirements in place to prove that he is still eligible for them and considering the amount of fraud that occurs in this program I support the requirement that the status of the individual receiving them be verified on a regular basis.

I agree.  It's the "system" she is complaining about that is the same for everyone else.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I just googled it and the max amount an attorney can charge this year is $6000. The amount does change year to year and is determined by SS.

That is what I said.  On the internet venting....get facts too.  That's what the internet is for also.

*Call Tyrone*