Honored Contributor

Re: I am so mad at our system need to vent!

One of the most frustrating things about government disability is that they most likely WILL deny coverage the first (maybe second or third) time around, even those who legitimately need it.

He needs an advocate to help him through this because it isn't cut and dried. It's done purposely to frustrate those intent on getting Disability when they don't need it.  Going to the hospital Social Workers is an excellent thought and as much as you dislike lawyers, the ones schooled in this wwould be money very well spent......

My best to your family.....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

There are procedures in place that will allow him to prove that his disability benefits need to continue.  You seem to be saying that he should not have to go through this,process because he needs these benefits.  I am sure he does but there are requirements in place to prove that he is still eligible for them and considering the amount of fraud that occurs in this program I support the requirement that the status of the individual receiving them be verified on a regular basis.

Trusted Contributor

First, the amount an attorney charges for representing a client before SSA is regulated by the SSA.   The amount of paperwork costs is over and above this.   There are VERY COMPETENT attorneys who work for legal defense organizations that do this work PRO BONO (free),   Contact your state attorney referral number from the state Bar Assn or ask an organization NOSSCR.org for referrals. 

I worked in this field for years and was on SSD myself.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

First of all - lawyers do not take 25 to 33 % - they get a fee that is set by SS. and only if they win. He NEEDS legal representation , period!  i agree it sounds like he was only given a short term disability the first time and he should have started the application process for full SSD during that period. Anyway , he has nothing to lose by getting an attorney to handle this for him, since he doesn't seem inclined to do it for himself.The lawyers will take care of contacting the doctors and getting the necessary statements etc.

Lawyers do deserve to be paid for their work, you know.

The system is not flawed and , no they do not give illegal aliens SS benefits-- honestly do you people have no common sense? To apply for any benefit from SS one has to show a picture ID - a birth certificate and their SS card. How does an illegal do that????? Your BIL or some representative from your family should have been applying for his permanent disability already. Since you all did not do that you are in this situation now, and instead of doing the intelligent thing - get a lawyer - instead you start ranting about it being too expensive and how only illegals get benefits. There is one of those wise old sayings that apply here : God helps those who helps themselves.

Pretty sad and pathetic from someone who claims to have been a nurse. You must have been a real gem to work with. Ever hear of caring, empathy, or compassion for those who are less fortunate than you?  Keep sticking up the illegals and show your ignorance.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm just going to say that here 99 things wrong or misleading with this story and leave it at that.

As usual, your post makes no sense.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I haven't read all the replies so this may be redungent.  But it sounds like if he has only six months left of disability it is short term. He needs to apply for Social Security Disability and any lawyer is limited in what they can charge/take from his award. Unlike Personal Injury claims where they take 30% and better.

I thought addiction was exclusionary from SSD but that is either here nor there with your SIL.. While he still has six-months..get the ball rolling on the SSD..and make sure it is Social Security Disability Insurance..SSDI..that is paid through your earnings that you paid into Social Security while employed.

Social Security Supplimental Income is known as SSI - and it is not based on your earnings ..if you do not have the required amount of quarters paid into the Social Security System you are not eligible for SSDI or SSD..so then you can apply for SSI. It is not as much as SSD/SSDI but it is better than nothing.

Best of luck and wishes to your SIL on this and on his health issues.

Respected Contributor

I think what is upsetting to a few here is that such erroneous information is put forward and accepted as fact...such as the % of the payment to the Attorney who helps disabiilty..and also no drug addicts nor undocumented workers do not obtain it..it is thru the social security administration and one would need a SS# ..now I am not going to say fraud doesn't happen but I think it is more of the ones not truly disabled than ones obtaining fake SS# to apply..Usually they want to remain under the radar and stealing a SS# and applying for benefits like that are putting the on the radar so it is in their best interest NOT to do that.

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@151949 wrote:

First of all - lawyers do not take 25 to 33 % - they get a fee that is set by SS. and only if they win. He NEEDS legal representation , period!  i agree it sounds like he was only given a short term disability the first time and he should have started the application process for full SSD during that period. Anyway , he has nothing to lose by getting an attorney to handle this for him, since he doesn't seem inclined to do it for himself.The lawyers will take care of contacting the doctors and getting the necessary statements etc.

Lawyers do deserve to be paid for their work, you know.

The system is not flawed and , no they do not give illegal aliens SS benefits-- honestly do you people have no common sense? To apply for any benefit from SS one has to show a picture ID - a birth certificate and their SS card. How does an illegal do that????? Your BIL or some representative from your family should have been applying for his permanent disability already. Since you all did not do that you are in this situation now, and instead of doing the intelligent thing - get a lawyer - instead you start ranting about it being too expensive and how only illegals get benefits. There is one of those wise old sayings that apply here : God helps those who helps themselves.

Pretty sad and pathetic from someone who claims to have been a nurse. You must have been a real gem to work with. Ever hear of caring, empathy, or compassion for those who are less fortunate than you?  Keep sticking up the illegals and show your ignorance.

I'm not sure how caring empathy or compassion will help resolve this situation.  What will resolve it is essentially doing as she suggested - hiring an attorney and applying for disability - which, as noted, should have been done already.

Sometimes I wonder if people really want to solve their problems - or if they just prefer to wallow in them - soaking up the caring, empathy and compassion - that actually does them no real good.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm just going to say that here 99 things wrong or misleading with this story and leave it at that.

As usual, your post makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense to me.