Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am re-stocking my gift closet

@Kachina624 wrote:

@chrystaltree.  Please take me off your gift list.  I've already been snookered into buying one of Joy's piece 'o junk.  Don't want another.

Humpf!

I was going to get you a new spin mop! 😆

Honored Contributor

I keep a gift closet. Actually, it’s a chest of drawers in our office. 

It was totally empty last month, but I’ve put a few things in it since then. I plan to keep it pretty lean this year, but I have added a few things. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I have a few gift drawers. (Small drawers not huge).  Its usually stocked with BBW hand soaps or candles. Or a few small Vera items I get on super clearance.  Not QVC Dooneys for a teacher, mailperson. But some small things as an add on gift.  Or comfy socks or gloves or earrings that I might get at kohl’s on super clearance come Feb.  It’s not meant to be impersonal for a specific giift for someone, for anyone that states they don’t buy items generically without a recipient in mind.  More for a small token for someone.  

Honored Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

Never knew anyone who had a "gift" closet. It's QVC or retail sales pitch.

Some people do have gift closets or chests.  My gift closet is really the top two shelves of the linen closet and the bottom drawer of my dresser.  I have a friend who uses her hope chest from 40 years ago to stash gifts.  Thinking ahead, taking advantage of sales, being prepared makes life so much easier.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree I will be on your list.  I love totes. Don’t you love a deal like that?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Good idea to completely empty the gift closet once a year so nothing gets "stale."

That's so true.  It happens naturally for me because I have string of Fall birthdays to pick out for and then Christmas comes right after those birthdays.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ahoymate wrote:

Never knew anyone who had a "gift" closet. It's QVC or retail sales pitch.

Nope, it's not. Google it and you'll find all kinds of articles about gift closets, most likely not by people who are watching QVC all day. It's a real thing that many people do, especially because it helps budget things throughout the year. It's not just for the bus driver or whomever else QVC likes to talk about gift items for, but also for friends and family when something you know they want goes on sale 6 months before a birthday or Christmas. Everyone in my family has a birthday between September and December, so that's most of my gift budget lumped into a couple of months. It's easier for me to buy things spread out over the year and keep them in a special place for birthdays.

And I keep other things in there because I never know when someone at the office will decide that THIS year we're doing a white elephant gift exchange, even if we've never done one before or if someone new to the team will bring me something unexpected. I don't necessarily buy special things for that, but if I buy a set of body washes or lotions or something else where some are scents I already have or don't like, those go on the gift shelf. I also put things others give me that I don't want or need up there to re-gift.

I don't personally know anyone who has an entire closet dedicated to gifts, but I know a lot of people who have a stash place, often in a closet because it's out of the way, for itms to be used as gifts.

Respected Contributor

@valuskyr
@ Crystaltree

So right about clearing out. My closet grew too large and I tried to use more from it this year. I have overbought little stuff and it’s silly to use the real estate. Too bad no one needed gloves this year! I did buy two ornaments.
Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@chrystaltree I will be on your list.  I love totes. Don’t you love a deal like that?

Yes!  I was just browsing around, looking at HSN's clearance and it there it was, a very nice looking quilted leather tote for....$30.  It was Flex Pay too but I did not use that. I felt so proud of myself...LOL  

Trusted Contributor

I still have to pay my mortgage and other bills, so a gift closet is a way to buy a little at a time with little effect on your bills!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!