Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am going to the store today before the big snow storm tonight

I put my wal mart order yesterday, couldn't get it before 4 this evening, for me and my folks. 

I doubt I get everything on the order, I bet its a madhouse down there.

One thing I have figured out, is if you buy the organic milk, it lasts a lot longer. It does cost more but it tastes better and has longer fridge life. 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

You're lucky you can get out.  I'm already iced in with below freezing temps for the foreseeable future and two big snowstorms on the horizon next week.

@geezerette WHERE are you?  Please take care!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I did a big grocery shopping late last week before the last snowfall - stocked up on non-perishables.  Stopped at the Deli yesterday for some other things.  And - my frequently used canned goods - I get from Amazon via subscription.  Big savings.  

Today - I had to be somewhere at 4:00 pm ... and I kept watching the forecast to see when the snow was expected to start.  

I was tempted to cancel early this morning - they had snow starting about 4:00 pm .... so by the time I was on my home (walking four blocks) ...  I'd be trudging through the snow.

Fortunately, I didn't cancel.

It's now almost 7:30 pm .... still no snow.

Esteemed Contributor

I have some very large icicles hanging off the roof over my deck.  Hope they fall soon.  Stabby ones.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Nightowlz,

The footage of that Texas pileup was horrific, and I cannot imagine the terrified feelings of those truck drivers knowing they were going to hit those other vehicles.   

There are MANY big rig truck drivers out there who know what they're doing, and can handle their truck; my youngest daughter is one of them.   

When my daughter does her pickup loads and starts back, she's weighing in just under 80,000 lbs.   That weight comes in handy when roads are snow covered, but that truck driver has no more control on ice than any other vehicle on the road.   He or she may be trying their best to steer and brake, but once that heavy trailer starts sliding and pushing, that truck is going to go wherever that weight pushes it. 

This time of year, my daughters biggest complaint is drivers on a snow covered interstate doing 40mph in both lanes of traffic, when she's capable of running 50mph with a heavy load that has to be delivered by a certain time.  

In any traffic situation where you are sharing the road with 18 wheelers, make sure you are visible in front of, or behind them, and give them room to do what they need to do.

@RedTop 

I know there are lots of truck drivers that know what they are doing. Today there are also a lot that don't.

I stay away from them. I don't like when they get on my bumper because they think I'm going to slow.

The trucks in Texas were going to fast. You can't drive that fast on ice because you cannot stop. Snow is a different story.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@rockygems123 

I'm in Oklahoma up north about 2 hrs from OKC

@Nightowlz We are going to get hammered.  I went a week ago Friday and stocked up!  We are below freezing for so long and I thought people would strip the shelves this week. 

@Sooner 

I know it's too cold. First time our heater has been on 70°.

Glad we have an electric blanket.

We are stocked up. Just finished some beef stew I made earlier since it's already been really cold a week or so & won't start warming up until next weekend.

I made chicken noodle soup tonight. I need something hot to eat.

DH made Chili so have more of it in the freezer. He's going to make some Gumbo tomorrow.

The snow tonight will miss us since it's moving northeast. Suppose to get more Tues. though. Not sure how much snow we have now but there are some pretty big snow drifts.

Stay Safe & Stay Warm.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Feed the birds.

@goldensrbest 

We threw out some bread for the birds today. They were looking for water but it only got up to I think 5° today. It's 1° now.

The birds kept pecking at the snow on the patio.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

178B8867-4339-4FFB-A332-67245C447ADA.jpeg

LOL.  My urologist sort of reminds me of this.  I think he is the most fearful of covid of anyone I have yet to meet.  I am afraid because of my age and comorbidities, but he is in his late 30s and wears what looks like a space suit.  I have yet to see any other doctors dressed like that, even the neurosurgeons.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz,
The TV footage certainly made it look like the semi drivers were driving fast.

The truth will be in their computer systems and whatever alerts each truck set off before the crash.

Many semi-s are programmed to not go over 70mph, have sensors that visually alert them to weather conditions like snow, ice, rain, have brake alerts that go off with any hard braking by the driver, plus the truck will brake on its own if it senses the need to do so. Speed and braking activate the dash cam, so in most cases, the trucking companies are aware their drivers have been involved in an accident before the driver ever calls it in.
Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

It's hard to tell in the video, but some of the narration said that the white semi that is seen 'barreling' down the road till it crashes into another semi, was actually going downhill on the iced over road.

Then you see all of the cars behind him crash into him.

I don't think that the truck driver was speeding or driving unsafely, it was the momentum between the weight of his truck sliding down the icy road.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.