Esteemed Contributor

@luvzchiz 

Along with "what the outside looks like" and what a person sees when looking in a mirror!

The difference between men and boys! I have oft seen this phrase: "The size and cost of their toys"!  

I believe more men can relate to that than "what the outside looks like". Most men are more concerned about what they can and cannot do, than "what the outside looks like" to them. In that respect men are way different than most ladies.

And way too many men quit being active as they get old because of the following. These are not just MY thoughts, they are what I have and still hear from many older men(most younger than myself).

"I tried working to get back to what I used to be able to do, and I just can't"! So they quit/give up. My suggestion to them:  "forget the life of used too's, and work on the present days can do's"! 

Unfortunately life isn't a "back to the future", you work with what you now have and go from there. Leave the "use too's" where they belong, in your past.

These are notes from my life experiences with hundreds of men, many as they aged from their early 20's, well into their late 50's to early '60's.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: I Skipped Today

[ Edited ]
  • @hckynutjohn   I love reading your posts and seeing how you always get up when knocked down.   Your activities help keep you "young".   

Although I have never seen you, nor a picture, I imagine that you still have a boyish smile and a glint  in your eyes no matter your age.  

My firm belief that those who don't complain; albeit they have reasons to do so, give the aura of being roubust, which implies youth.  

I am not stating that being young is best. In fact the wisdom that comes with life experience should, as in many cultures, be respected and hoped for.   It's the mirror image that we see is important. Every scar and wrinkle supports a life well lived.  For many do not have the chance to do so. 

That doesn't mean that one shouldn't complain, which can be cathartic and beneficial, there is a time and place.  

Wishing you continued strength and good health. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Regular Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@luvzchiz 

Along with "what the outside looks like" and what a person sees when looking in a mirror!

The difference between men and boys! I have oft seen this phrase: "The size and cost of their toys"!  

I believe more men can relate to that than "what the outside looks like". Most men are more concerned about what they can and cannot do, than "what the outside looks like" to them. In that respect men are way different than most ladies.

And way too many men quit being active as they get old because of the following. These are not just MY thoughts, they are what I have and still hear from many older men(most younger than myself).

"I tried working to get back to what I used to be able to do, and I just can't"! So they quit/give up. My suggestion to them:  "forget the life of used too's, and work on the present days can do's"! 

Unfortunately life isn't a "back to the future", you work with what you now have and go from there. Leave the "use too's" where they belong, in your past.

These are notes from my life experiences with hundreds of men, many as they aged from their early 20's, well into their late 50's to early '60's.

hckynut 

@hckynutjohn  Are you sort of saying what my fellow okie Toby Keith says:

"I ain't as good as I once was
But I'm as good once as I ever was."

Valued Contributor

I turned 60 in March and I am semi retired. I think your skipping sounds fabulous! DH and I try to take a walk every day but it's getting pretty cold here.  Anyway, I really want to run like Phoebe from Friends and look like a total dork! I think it would feel great! Maybe I should try skipping....loved it as a kid! Who knows, maybe we can make somebody laugh watching us! We all know there's not enough laughter in the world right now! 

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Esteemed Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl wrote:

I turned 60 in March and I am semi retired. I think your skipping sounds fabulous! DH and I try to take a walk every day but it's getting pretty cold here.  Anyway, I really want to run like Phoebe from Friends and look like a total dork! I think it would feel great! Maybe I should try skipping....loved it as a kid! Who knows, maybe we can make somebody laugh watching us! We all know there's not enough laughter in the world right now! 

@Jayhawk Girl, go ahead and do it . Hope DH does it with you, and of course, you should be holding hands while doing it.

Please don't do Pheobe, you might fall. Skipping is safer lol.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yesterday,I got to thinking, what if there was no fear, and we just went ahead and did things with no thought of fear?  I'm talking about just doing.  This is kind of in the same area.  You skipped with no fear of what someone else might think.  No one was hurt, ya just went ahead and did it.  If we had less " what if's?" we'd have less stress. So good for you!!  Skip while you can!  No one knows what tomorrow brings.

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray 

Good for you!  This world needs more people who look up and shout

Why Do People Say “yes” - Big Yes Clipart (#933554) - PinClipart

Esteemed Contributor

@SoonerLater 

As for your reference of fellow okie Toby Keith?  While I like that saying, and his music, it is not quite the same as my comments. 

Me with ice skating, not as good as I was? That is a fact of age, and my trying to replicate that, would add more risk than is already present, just ice skating itself for an old man.

Doing what I have worked my way back to being able to do on skates! Have already left me with a total of 5 broken ribs/a punctured left lung(3 days in hospital)/a broken nose, and a severely sprained wrist.

I won't even count the number of hip bone bruises, that left my legs pretty much a constant black/blue/purple and green, well over a year of working more on getting up than actually skating. Then there was standing still fall on the side of my head that closed my left eye for almost 2 weeks.

That said, ole Toby saying "as good once as I ever was"? Nah!  I just want to keep doing what is not even close to what "I once was", but doing it not once, but indefinitely, until I am physically unable to do so. If i find myself getting up off the ice surface more that skating "on it"?  It's time!

As always, I appreciate your touch of humor, and I do like that artist and that song!  😉

hckynut 

hckynut(john)