Honored Contributor

Re: I SO miss going to the beach

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife wrote:

I have lived in Delaware all my life.  The southern part of our state has beaches and as a family we always took a vacation to the beach in the summer.  My parents always dreamed of buying a second home at the beach but never got around to it.  When they both died, I used part of my inhertence to buy a beach house.  I am staying in it right now.  

@ninjawife We've owned summer homes in Dewey (2), Lewes--east of the canal and in-town Rehoboth. 

Haven't been there in a couple of years.  Do they raise the houses to be above flood level at the beaches now? Ours were always just one or two steps up to the house.

We built at the Jersey shore and practically all the houses are raised up.  

It's hard to imagine all those houses in the DE beach towns still being low to the ground-- they had significant flooding in Lewes and Dewey during a full moon.

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife.

that sound so wonderful! I would love to live at the beach. Do you have family near by or do they come see you? 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

I have lived in Delaware all my life.  The southern part of our state has beaches and as a family we always took a vacation to the beach in the summer.  My parents always dreamed of buying a second home at the beach but never got around to it.  When they both died, I used part of my inhertence to buy a beach house.  I am staying in it right now.  

@ninjawife We've owned summer homes in Dewey (2), Lewes--east of the canal and in-town Rehoboth. 

Haven't been there in a couple of years.  Do they raise the houses to be above flood level at the beaches now? Ours were always just one or two steps up to the house.

We built at the Jersey shore and practically all the houses are raised up.  

It's hard to imagine all those houses in the DE beach towns still being low to the ground-- they had significant flooding in Lewes and Dewey during a full moon.

@Lucky Charm There is a mix of houses that are raised and not raised.  Houses right on the beach tend to be raised.  My house is between Lewes and Rehoboth but no where near the beach- too expensive.  If my DH and I ever decide to retire at the beach we would like to live somewhere in Lewes -closer to the beach. 

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@ninjawife.

that sound so wonderful! I would love to live at the beach. Do you have family near by or do they come see you? 

@on the bay I live less than two hours from my permament home so it is easy for others to visit.  My aunt also lives in the area.  My daughters who are 20 and 25 come when they can.  Both are here now.  Oldest DD works from home so she is working during the day and youngest DD just finished school.

Honored Contributor

I really miss going to the east coast every year and seeing family and friends there.  I try not to think about it too much because we don't travel any more and family there is gone.  

We had so much fun and have so many wonderful and many funny memories and we both love the ocean--well, except the part along the gulf where the big bull shark lives--and the fresh seafood!  Woman Surprised

But I thank God for those wonderful times we had!  What a blessing they were. 

Honored Contributor

@ninjawife,

that sounds wonderful!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Come rent the beach house next to me!  We'll have a blast!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG We'd probably get kicked out!  LOL!!!  But we would look good fleeing!  And my husband would come bail us out.

Wish we could go, but those days are over, so I'm very thankful we went the 25 years when we could go.  But I sure miss the friends we made along the way!  

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I lived 30 years on the Atlantic coast, my children were born and raised there, we had a blast enjoying all the aspects of coastal living. Life sent curves, things changed, I hated the heat, bugs, etc.  So I sold out, moved to the mountains and always went back twice a year.  My youngest son and my husbands ashes are in the Atlantic.  I tried to think about finding a spot back on the coast late last year, even rented a house, but when I do go, after 5-6 days, I get restless, I load up and come back to my beloved mountains.  I visited the coast back in May, I'm good now.  This country provides amazing & diverse choices on where we can find our "spot".