Valued Contributor

I SO miss going to the beach

[ Edited ]

I grew up in Los Angeles and going to the beach was just a normal part of life. 

Now I'm in the PNW and if you think you're going to take a casual dip in the ocean or a river or lake, fuggetabouit! The water is ALWAYS  cold--55 degrees is not unheard of and every summer we usually have news stories about people drowning because of hypothermia--their muscles get so cold they can't use them.

I really miss the smell of salt water, suntan lotion, baking in the sun, splashing around in the water, everyone stretched out on beach towels...etc. My son has grown up here and I feel sorry for him that he's never had that experience. Once in a while my DH travel to Portland and the highway has a stretch which is close to the ocean. When I smell the salty breeze and see the waves breaking on the shore, I kind of relax and think, Ahh! Home!

Honored Contributor

Re: I SO miss going to the beach

I would gather up your family and head for a week at the beach and rent a house right on the beach.  You could coordinate your vacations or plan for the next year like we do.

Our older grandson, now turned 16, has memories of sitting on the beach several years back eating sweet nectarines which is now our tradition (peaches sometimes).

Drive if close enough, or fly.

Have a wonderful time!

Honored Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666   I never even saw any ocean (in person) until I was an adult.  We swam in the local creek or river and looked forward to summer so we could.

I don't feel sorry for your son -  that, of course, assumes he had different wonderful childhood experiences.  I also assume he will create his own life in his own time and space.   That's what we have to do.   

Here I am, no ocean, no color TV, no electric typewriter even, no microwave, or flights on an airplane, or Internet shopping until I moved away from home - and my adult life has included all.  

I still miss the green hills and rolling fields of my childhood and I cherish the memories of growing up there, but as I said to my mother when I announced we were ending our marriage and she asked if I was returning home.  "Mom, I am home."

New house, new experiences, but I was home.    Still am-  just in a different residence, different state, different climate  -- home.

Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666  I can relate to your experience in a similar way. We left west Michigan to retire to the Tampa Bay area four years ago. The beaches we enjoyed going to were on Lake Michigan. Freshwater, no sharks, no salt and extremely cold water. At this writing the water temps are around 62 degrees. Turns your feet blue and numb. Not even swimmable until late August. Which by then, autumn is rapidly approaching and summer is over. 
Now our beaches are on the Gulf. Beautiful white sand. Breezes smelling of salt and fish. Warm water. And yes, we have to watch out for jellyfish, sharks and who knows what else. Nothing we had to be concerned about in Michigan. I get homesick for the Great Lakes. But I also appreciate the pleasures of living here. It sounds like you are feeling the same way. 

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 

I feel your pain.  Grew up in NJ with the shore and a shore house.  Moved to CA and had the beach.  Now in TX  NO OCEAN.  Love Texas but we need an ocean (not the gulf, it's not the same)

Honored Contributor

Take a vacation.  

Trusted Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666 wrote:

I grew up in Los Angeles and going to the beach was just a normal part of life. 

Now I'm in the PNW and if you think you're going to take a casual dip in the ocean or a river or lake, fuggetabouit! The water is ALWAYS  cold--55 degrees is not unheard of and every summer we usually have news stories about people drowning because of hypothermia--their muscles get so cold they can't use them.

I really miss the smell of salt water, suntan lotion, baking in the sun, splashing around in the water, everyone stretched out on beach towels...etc. My son has grown up here and I feel sorry for him that he's never had that experience. Once in a while my DH travel to Portland and the highway has a stretch which is close to the ocean. When I smell the salty breeze and see the waves breaking on the shore, I kind of relax and think, Ahh! Home!

I have been going down the shore all my life.  I love the beach.

In addition to Jersey Girls not pumping gas, Jersey Girls have sand between their toes. 

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Valued Contributor

I hate the beach and I live 5 minutes from it. Perdido Key area in Pensacola, Florida, I'll take any place other than here. 

Honored Contributor

I go to the beach all of the time! When we go boating on our lake we always stop at our favorite beach and enjoy many warm, summer afternoons.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I have lived in Delaware all my life.  The southern part of our state has beaches and as a family we always took a vacation to the beach in the summer.  My parents always dreamed of buying a second home at the beach but never got around to it.  When they both died, I used part of my inhertence to buy a beach house.  I am staying in it right now.