Honored Contributor

My sweet father died when I was 17 years old, and he passed away during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season.  He was "a big heart walking around on legs," powerfully hard-working and determined to give his family a good life, funny and compassionate, had an abundance of friends from all walks of life, and his smile could light up a city.  We were fortunate in that our family was encouraged to use the special calendar dates as days of celebration rather than time for sadness...  but of course that never takes away the pain we feel and the loss that we grieve. 

Just a few months prior to that I saw one of my friends collapse and die on the football field, my mother died very young, and I've lost so many dear relatives and best friends in subsequent years.

Death doesn't take away what was, but it does make us wistful about what might have been.

My deepest condolences to all who mourn.  Certain days might be "just dates on a calendar," but they're evocative and rich with memories.  My heart goes out to all of you.Heart

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I miss my dad too, he's been gone for 37 years and I've been without him longer than I had him.  Wish I could hear his voice one more time on the phone.  Anyone know the area code for heaven?

Honored Contributor

Re: I Miss My Dad

[ Edited ]

I understand how you feel.

I lost my own dad 40 years ago (when I was 12), and my mom 20 years ago (when I was 32); I'm an only child.

Sending you a hug, and try to smile when you think of your papa; bet you have some happy memories.

Honored Contributor

My Dad was fun and kind.  When I think of him, I see him laughing, always laughing.  He was the most posative person I ever met.  Almost too posative. LOL! I knew he loved me.  I just knew it. He took my friends and I surfing, and all kinds of places as well.  My mother just wasn't into that kind of stuff.  I still see him , eyes wide, shaking on a bleecher at a Ricky Nelson consert.  The girls were screaming, stomping, weeping, fainting, (it was 1960), the bleechers litererally swaying.  It was soooooo loud.  Haha, I think it was the first time I saw a little fear on his face, LOL!  Bless his heart!