Super Contributor

@CaitlinH wrote:

Isn't it the worst? Holidays & rememberance days like this are suppose to be full of fun and happiness, but they can tend to be full of sadness. I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. I lost my father when I was 6 years old, and here I am, almost 20 years later, still missing him. What makes it especially gard is not being close to my mother and also essentially having no family.

Just remember that some days are tough and some are easy. Support groups are great, therapists are too. One thing I've learned is to never be afraid to look back and think of the time you got to spend with them. Feel better. *hugs*

Thanks so much.   You had to go through a lot losing your dear Dad so early in your life.   I am blessed to have had my Dad for so long.   The last thing he ever said to me was that he loved me, and I carry that in my heart every day as the beacon that lights my path.

Frequent Contributor

(((Apple Head)))

Respected Contributor
I sure know how you feel.....I'm missing my Daddy so much too. It's been 7 years and I still talk to him every day, I feel him near me often . Take care and hugs to you.
Honored Contributor

@Apple Head wrote:

My dear Dad has been gone 2 years now from cancer.   I really miss him.  I'm going through some rough times and need his wisdom and support.   I miss talking to him.   Whenever there is a big news story or something happens in the world, we would discuss and watch the coverage together.   I miss little things like that.

I miss hearing his opinions and getting his advice.    I miss having a meal with him.

I have no family anymore, so it's really tough, especially on Father's Day.    

I miss him so much it hurts.

Apple Head,

I'm so sorry for your loss.  

@My dad is still here, a healthy, happy, sound 88 yrs.  As of @ 3 years ago we live w/i 12 miles of each other.  As far as sharing about current events, coverage, etc, our love of our Dads sounds so similar.

While very grateful for him everyday, I also tear up everyday at the thought of losing him.  Thinking of your pain makes me cry.

I am holding you in the light.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

Apple Head,

I wish I could tell you that time will help, but for me that is not true. My daddy died almost 30 years ago and I have missed him every day. You can see I am a senior citizen, but my daddy was everything to me. I, like you, needed him to advise, just talk, discusss--whatever. I have found that a person is never too old to have the wisdom of a wonderful parent. Some days I just want to sit down and cry because I miss him so much.

tea

Respected Contributor

Re: I Miss My Dad

[ Edited ]

Apple Head,

You never came back to the delayed grief thread under the Wellness category which we began together when the new forums opened, and I know it would help you understand what you are truly feeling now.

There is a lot of information posted recently on that thread now which you would benefit from.

We started cyber chatting then you disappeared and never signed back in.

I know and can relate to what you feel, because I also lost my beloved husband of 45 years, and exactly 2 weeks later my beloved Mom died, and yes I too was all alone in the world and very grief stricken, depressed and so sad with all my loving caring relations gone ahead.

I learned something fascinating  and posted about it on the delayed grief thread, and that is that grief really never leaves us because it evolves and changes, and has its hi's and lows, same as we humans do.

We as humans also evolve and change, but our spirits remain the same, and that is where that grief is kept. 

Please read the delayed grief thread Apple Head, and learn what others also contributed who all know and can clearly relate to missing someone they truly loved, and yet they still feel grief and its hi's and lows, no matter how much time has passed.

For me grief is like the ebbing tide of the ocean. It comes in fast and with force, breaks against the shoreline, and then ebbs away calmly back into the ocean, only to repeat that scenario again, and again.

There are wounds it is discovered which never heal as long as we are alive, but we can understand the true facets of grief, so please go and read the new posts I posted there, as there are  a few new ones on the last 2 pages which give full insight regarding better understanding, coming to terms, accepting, and handling grief.

I will hold you in my daily prayers Apple Head, and will check that delayed grief thread ater today.......hopefully you will reply, and God Bless.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  I understand you.  I miss mine too.  I lost him in 1995.  He had heart disease.  I miss my mother too.  Lost her in 1990.  Every time mother and father's day comes around and I hear or see an email about it, it's like a slap in the face.  It hurts badly.  I'm sorry for your loss too and everyone on here.  The ones that still have theirs are very fortunate.  Merchants should understand too that some have no parents anymore.  I could not even buy a three dollar vase for flowers at a florist without running outside so no one would see my crying.

Honored Contributor

@Apple Head wrote:

My dear Dad has been gone 2 years now from cancer.   I really miss him.  I'm going through some rough times and need his wisdom and support.   I miss talking to him.   Whenever there is a big news story or something happens in the world, we would discuss and watch the coverage together.   I miss little things like that.

I miss hearing his opinions and getting his advice.    I miss having a meal with him.

I have no family anymore, so it's really tough, especially on Father's Day.    

I miss him so much it hurts.

I think these "special" days can be excrutiating when a loved one is gone.  I'm still fortunate to have my dad, but my mom is gone, and the whole lead up to and celebrating of Mother's Day seems endless to me and I'm always relieved when it's the day AFTER Mother's Day and it's all over....for another year.

My condolences to you as you deal with the loss of your dad.  I understand how hard it is.  Take care.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

When I find myself being so sad over the loss of my parents I make a conscious effort to think , instead, of how fortunate I was to have won the parent and grandparent lottery. I had wonderful parents who made every effort to raise us well, to be prepared to function in the world, and made certain we were educated so we could make a living, and showed us every day what a wonderful thing love is within a family, and how it makes you strong. They would not want me to be sad and upset, they would prefer I celebrate their lives. My parents died 24 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I do hope things get better for you as time goes by......lost my dad in 1997...seems like years ago to many....but seems like yesterday to me.  Lost my mom almost 2 years ago.............missing them NEVER seems to go away.   But i do feel them around me.  Especially my dad.  Over the years i have felt his presence and i  often find myself talking out loud to him when i feel i would like his guidance.  I do believe they are still around us.....which gives me comfort.  I hope you find comfort soon.