Super Contributor

My dear Dad has been gone 2 years now from cancer.   I really miss him.  I'm going through some rough times and need his wisdom and support.   I miss talking to him.   Whenever there is a big news story or something happens in the world, we would discuss and watch the coverage together.   I miss little things like that.

I miss hearing his opinions and getting his advice.    I miss having a meal with him.

I have no family anymore, so it's really tough, especially on Father's Day.    

I miss him so much it hurts.

Super Contributor
Awww. Apple Head, so sorry you are feeling down today. I have heard of so many people who are feeling that way today. It sounds like your dad was a wonderful man and you were very close to him. Remember the good times. Take care.
Respected Contributor

Sounds like you had a marvelous Dad - so did I. Buried my father on his 90th Birthday after he fought almost 3 continuous years in WWII, was in the Korean War and Also Nam. Bless that career Army groundpounder - the most gentle soul on earth. My thought are with all who lost their Dads this day.

Super Contributor

Thanks for your sweet message.   My Dad was the best  man I ever knew.   He had so much integrity.    

I took care of him during his cancer.    It made us even closer.   He went so fast after his diagnosis, just 5 months.    

I still cry for him every day.   I am going to a grief support group.   Things have happened in my life that stunted my initial grief.    If I had family, it wouldn't be so lonely, but I have no one (due to siblings who don't care).    

All of you who still have parents, feel blessed and honor them everyday.

Valued Contributor

Isn't it the worst? Holidays & rememberance days like this are suppose to be full of fun and happiness, but they can tend to be full of sadness. I'm so sorry you are having a hard time. I lost my father when I was 6 years old, and here I am, almost 20 years later, still missing him. What makes it especially gard is not being close to my mother and also essentially having no family.

Just remember that some days are tough and some are easy. Support groups are great, therapists are too. One thing I've learned is to never be afraid to look back and think of the time you got to spend with them. Feel better. *hugs*

Esteemed Contributor
Dear Apple Head. Best wishes to you. My eyes are watering. Hope you are well.
Regular Contributor

Hi Apple Head--

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad. 

Your post could have been written by me, but I lost my dad in February of this year.  It's not getting any better.  I always took him out for dinner for Father's Day, so it's been very hard this weekend.  Like you, I went to him for wisdom, advice, and support.  I was never too old to ask my dad for help or advice.  His was one of a kind and I miss him horribly.  I am devastated that he's gone.

Take care!!  I certainly know how you are feeling. 

Super Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:
Dear Apple Head. Best wishes to you. My eyes are watering. Hope you are well.

Thank you.    I appreciate your reply.

Super Contributor

@Jackyl wrote:

Hi Apple Head--

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dad. 

Your post could have been written by me, but I lost my dad in February of this year.  It's not getting any better.  I always took him out for dinner for Father's Day, so it's been very hard this weekend.  Like you, I went to him for wisdom, advice, and support.  I was never too old to ask my dad for help or advice.  His was one of a kind and I miss him horribly.  I am devastated that he's gone.

Take care!!  I certainly know how you are feeling. 

Jacky,

So sorry about what you're going through too.  It's so soon for you.   I know exactly how you're feeling.   I used to bake my Dad a cake and we would enjoy the day together.   We used to go to a restaurant a lot (after my Mom passed) and after he passed away, I couldn't go back.   I tried one day, and sat at the table and cried.   

There are times when I feel his presence around me.   It's at times when I need guidance and something either tells me to do something, or something happens that gets my attention and I know how to proceed.   I do believe they are with us every day.

Take care and know you're not alone.  I don't want you to feel it's forever hopeless.  I just had some circumstances with siblings and the loss of my job a few months ago that have made my grief more difficult to get through.    I hope you have some support.   

I do believe that I've made it through some painful days since his passing because he was watching out for me.

Hugs to you!!!!  

Honored Contributor

Re: I Miss My Dad

[ Edited ]
AppleHead: my thoughts and prayers are with you. I lost my dad at age 27 unexpected he went to work had a massive stroke, died that day. My dad was my mentor, could fix anything, loved me unconditionally and I was proud to have a dad so speciaL. Never had a relationship with my mother so of course, he was my dad & mom.

On special days or holidays, I think I miss him even more -- I'll be 60 this year, my only niece (and his only granddaughter) is getting married and I wish he could have been here longer to meet his grandkids and great granddaughter but I guess they needed him in heaven! I'm sure he smiles down on me everyday.

Hugs to you I totally understand your sadness as it's the same situation for me (I have no one here in FL) but I do have my kids and granddaughter up North -- I am counting the days to next week when I go up for a few weeks!