Honored Contributor

Re: I KNOW this is crazy, but just wondering .. ?

Wipe down computer, keyboard, mouse desk top and drawer handles and anything else you handle in your work area with Dysinfectant wipes.  Also spray the area and items with Lysol Dysinfectant Spray.  And dont forget the phone on the desk.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Yes it's possible, there are germs all over everything on the desk.

While it's a good thing you are doing by volunteering if it was making me sick that much I would have to tell them they need to find someone else, asap because I wouldn't be back.

Honored Contributor

It’s not crazy, and anyone working in an office type atmosphere knows this is exactly how sickness spreads around an office; computer, phone, copier, fax, and surfaces in the break room.   

When I worked switchboard/dispatch, we wore headsets, but also had a console and other equipment we used at our station.  At the end of every shift, we were required to wipe down our entire station before the next operator came on duty.   

In the office I retired from, we wiped down every touchable surface 2x a day.   4 of us were in our office all day every day, but our boss and her entire staff were in patient care areas every day.   We did our best to reduce transmission, and if we came to work sick, we had to wear a mask.   

Honored Contributor

Also, when you wipe surfaces to disinfect them, you use one Clorox, Lysol, etc., wipe per surface.   One for the phone, one for the desk, one for the keyboard, one for the copier, etc.   We were also taught to use one wipe for the inside doorknob, and one for the outside; used a lot of wipes, but we did not have a high rate of absenteeism in our office, and I only remember one person wearing a mask.   

Honored Contributor

It's possible.  When I worked in the office, before I became a manager with an office, I was pretty vocal about  no once sitting at my desk when I was out.  I never wanted anyone using my computer or my phone and I would go as far as unhooking my keyboard and putting it in my bottom desk drawer when I was on vacation.  I rarely go into the office now but when I do, I take my laptop and my cell phone with me and I either work in the conference room or if have to sit at an empty desk, at least I have my own laptop and my own cell phone.  I'm not overly germ consious but any stretch but that fact is that people have coughs and colds and the pick their noses and we all know there are people who don't wash their hands after they use the bathrooms.  I also us hand sanitizer throughout the day when I am in the office.      

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

"I was taught if you are sick stay home and don't infect others."

@silkyk 

You must be a lot younger than myself or raised in a different societal level. We didn't work we just might not pay rent or eat. Many days were exactly that, no work, no pay. Would have loved to see my Mom stay home when she was sick, but with 4 kids to raise by her lonesome?

If I believed everything I touched or walked by would make me sick? Most of my exciting life would have never happened, including the present. JMO

hckynut(john)

@hckynut   It's STILL that way in a lot of places.   

And, if you are "off" too often, or too long, they just fire you.  di

So sad that in this day and age we have employers that don't offer paid sick days.  If an employer can't offer this minimal benefit, maybe they shouldn't be in business!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina , if you can afford it, maybe bring in your own key board.  they are easy to switch in and out.  They are hard to clean.

Honored Contributor

As a factory worker for 33 years, the least of my concerns of getting sick had nothing to do with: sick people or germs on what we touched. My concern was working with Plastics that said right on the 5 ton boxes they came in "might be a cancer causing agent". This was in 1958.  

Worked around acid fumes and a compound that ran in part of machines that drew copper rod down to 14 gauge copper down to wire used in Switchboards/and to make different sized cable used  for telephone connections. Some were even Armoured Cable that run underground.

Worry about my tools or who touched what and when? I never had that luxury. Working in a fog produced by machines melting multiple types of plastics, and armour, was dangers I could see and know I was breathing. 

Guess living through those decades kinda made me less concerned in catching a cold from touching things others(even sick ones) touched. That has never been on my "watch out danger ahead" list of concerns. Sorry, but that was and still is my life.  Got more serious health issues with which to concern myself.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:
So sad that in this day and age we have employers that don't offer paid sick days.  If an employer can't offer this minimal benefit, maybe they shouldn't be in business.
@NYCLatinaMe 
Really? Yes, shut businesses down they don't pay sick days for everyone?  And here I thought businesses of all types hire workers, which helps them live, and also doesn't hurt this country's economy. 
To each be their own.
hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

This is why when DH and I see somebody on the news getting an award for perfect attendance we wonder just how many people these jerks (who apparently think they are indespensible at school/work) passed their special sickness on to. I was taught if you are sick stay home and don't infect others. Those who show up no matter what ( to lock in that "perfect" award) and cough and sneeze and spread their germs etc. all over everyone and everything and well you get my point. No awards for sharing. IMHO.

@silkyk.  It happens. Not everyone gets sick. In fact I rarely do. Sometimes a bad cough but that’s it.

I'm the same way.  Very rare for me to call out sick.  In fact, it's been several years since I last called out.  However, we get no incentive for perfect attendance,  which I think is wrong.