Respected Contributor

I KNOW this is crazy, but just wondering .. ?

About 4 months ago, I started doing volunteer work, one day a week.

Long story short --- I've been sick 50% of the time.

So, what am I wondering ...?

Every time I go to work, the mgr. will say, "You can use so & so's computer because they're not here (out sick)".

You know where I'm going with this ... right?

Is it possible ... everytime I use a sick person's computer, I get sick?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I KNOW this is crazy, but just wondering .. ?

@RinaRina wrote:

About 4 months ago, I started doing volunteer work, one day a week.

Long story short --- I've been sick 50% of the time.

So, what am I wondering ...?

Every time I go to work, the mgr. will say, "You can use so & so's computer because they're not here (out sick)".

You know where I'm going with this ... right?

Is it possible ... everytime I use a sick person's computer, I get sick?

yes I thnk so.

I work at home, but 2 days a month they make me work in the office.  I never know where I have to sit. 

I wipe down the mouse and keyboard with Lysol wipes before I touch anything. 

The phone goes with me from home.

Respected Contributor

"When germs are on the prowl, no place is safe. Buses, commuter trains, rental cars, and private vehicles transport both people and virulent germs. Retail establishments, health clubs, educational institutions, restaurants, hotel rooms, and even cruise ship cabins can shelter germs. In fact, practically anything that you touch can expose you to germs, putting your health at risk. According to the National Health Service, the lifespan of a germ varies depending on the type of germ and the surface that it is on."

So I will say "yes" it is possible.  But there also could problems with the ventiliation.  Or how well the cleaning crew is doing in wipeing down bathroom fixtures, door handles and other surfaces  Alot also depends upon your own immune system.

It is not a bad idea to have some alcohol pads with you and wipe down computer keyboards and phones, etc that multiple people use.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

Not too many things in life that are not possible. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Definitely, keyboards and phones are germ magnets.

Esteemed Contributor

I used to work with a guy who was always sick and had no clue what a Kleenex was. He was gross and disgusting. I’m not kidding. Slobber everywhere. Anyway when he would call in sick this other guy and I would take turns covering for him. We would disinfect his entire area before we would even touch his stuff. It would take us about 10-15 minutes. Everything he could have touched was sanitized.  I kept wipes, Lysol, towels, you name it in my desk. It worked. Neither of us would get sick. 

Respected Contributor

This is why when DH and I see somebody on the news getting an award for perfect attendance we wonder just how many people these jerks (who apparently think they are indespensible at school/work) passed their special sickness on to. I was taught if you are sick stay home and don't infect others. Those who show up no matter what ( to lock in that "perfect" award) and cough and sneeze and spread their germs etc. all over everyone and everything and well you get my point. No awards for sharing. IMHO.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

This is why when DH and I see somebody on the news getting an award for perfect attendance we wonder just how many people these jerks (who apparently think they are indespensible at school/work) passed their special sickness on to. I was taught if you are sick stay home and don't infect others. Those who show up no matter what ( to lock in that "perfect" award) and cough and sneeze and spread their germs etc. all over everyone and everything and well you get my point. No awards for sharing. IMHO.

@silkyk.  It happens. Not everyone gets sick. In fact I rarely do. Sometimes a bad cough but that’s it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silkyk wrote:

"I was taught if you are sick stay home and don't infect others."

@silkyk 

You must be a lot younger than myself or raised in a different societal level. We didn't work we just might not pay rent or eat. Many days were exactly that, no work, no pay. Would have loved to see my Mom stay home when she was sick, but with 4 kids to raise by her lonesome?

If I believed everything I touched or walked by would make me sick? Most of my exciting life would have never happened, including the present. JMO

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dr told me to wipe down my steering wheel when I get home since I am bringing every germ from where I have been...and also doorknobs on my front and back doors....makes sense to me especially during flu season. Wiping down the keyboard only makes sense...also the phone, work surface,  or desk area. Anything that is shared...even the handle on the fridge and the coffee pot handle if there is a staff kitchen or lunch area.