Respected Contributor

Re: I KNOW this is crazy, but just wondering .. ?

My feeling is that our bodies do need exposure to some germs and bacteria to build up resistence.

However, every once in a while a highly contagious virus will come about and will spread like a wild fire.  

Esteemed Contributor

Must have a lot of sick people working there if everytime you go in someone is out.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Sure germs live awhile.  Get some wipes and wipe that sucker down.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Must have a lot of sick people working there if everytime you go in someone is out.

You are either assuming it's a small office with handful of people or that people only take days off when they are sick.   I was in a division of 120 people and people were out for variety reasons that weren't about being sick.  There are vacation days, personal days, off site training classes, maternity leave, long term disability leave.   When those of us do have go into the office for a day, there's always a scramble to seat us at the desk of someone who is out but there's really no reason to assume that person is out sick.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

About 4 months ago, I started doing volunteer work, one day a week.

Long story short --- I've been sick 50% of the time.

So, what am I wondering ...?

Every time I go to work, the mgr. will say, "You can use so & so's computer because they're not here (out sick)".

You know where I'm going with this ... right?

Is it possible ... everytime I use a sick person's computer, I get sick?

Take some sanitizer wipes and wipe down the computer and desk.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry the OP is becoming ill so often.  Since I haven't read all the comments, this might have been mentioned. Please excuse!

Wiping down surfaces with disinfectants and using hand sanitizers are good ideas.  There also might be something in the air that's causing illness.  People who are there on a daily basis may have developed a tolerance and it doesn't make them ill.

Since I'm old, I remember when disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizers were not in use.  We were told to wash our hands before eating, etc., but that was about it.

Back in the good old days most diners, pizza places, bars with food service had juke boxes.  If you don't know what that is, do some research.  Every booth had a box with a list of records in the juke box.  For a dime or quarter, you could choose which record you wanted played by pressing buttons in the selector with letters and numbers that corresponded to the record you chose.  Those buttons were pressed all day and night while people were eating burgers, pizza, sandwiches.  No one went around wiping down the box and we never thought to sanitize our hands!   Yes, we got colds, flu, etc., but I don't think more than today. 

When and why did we become so germ phobic?

Here is a photo of the juke box record selector:

IMG_1175.JPGI

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic     Oh how I remember the jukeboxes.   My parents used to stop at a restaurant on the way to visit my grandparents.  Each booth had a small jukebox..     I always begged them for money to play my favorite song.  

When I got older I remember our favorite hang-out spot having the one large jukebox.  We loved going there on Friday night and having milkshakes, fries, burger and my all-time favorite cherry cokes.

Those are such wonderful memories.   I often feel sorry that our young people will never know the fun of living in such innocent times.   My husband and I always say that we would never trade growing up in those times for anything in the world.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl @Yes those were the days....before we knew beef was bad for our hearts,milkshakes have too many calories,fries are high in sodium and cholesterol and soda has too much sugar.We were blissful unaware of the dangerous life we led.LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess 

@lovesrecess wrote:

My dr told me to wipe down my steering wheel when I get home since I am bringing every germ from where I have been...and also doorknobs on my front and back doors....makes sense to me especially during flu season. Wiping down the keyboard only makes sense...also the phone, work surface,  or desk area. Anything that is shared...even the handle on the fridge and the coffee pot handle if there is a staff kitchen or lunch area.

I also do this and keep wipes in my car and purse

Esteemed Contributor

I worked at a large university for over three decades. Every year, when students from all over the world returned to campus in January,they’d invariably bring all sorts of upper respiratory bugs with them. By February I was always sick. College students are not always the most altruistic or empathetic humans. They sneezed and coughed all over the place and, of course, touched door knobs, papers, etc. There was nothing we could do. When I was sick I stayed home. As I felt better after a day or two and returned to work, I told students that they wouldn’t want to shake my hand yet. Now that I’m retired, those winter bugs are no longer an issue. It’s one of the best advantages of not going to work anymore.