Respected Contributor

Re: I KNOW this is crazy, but just wondering .. ?

Just think about all the things we touch everyday that others have touched...wash hands frequently & keep them away from your face. I volunteer everyday at different hospitals, in-out of very sick patients rooms so I watch what I touch, keep sleeves rolled up & follow all rules... the big one is wash your hands. I keep wipes in my car & purse, I use them all the time when shopping & eating out. OP if you're worried about the keyboard just go over it with a wipe...Good luck & Thanks for volunteering.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

"I was taught if you are sick stay home and don't infect others."

@silkyk 

You must be a lot younger than myself or raised in a different societal level. We didn't work we just might not pay rent or eat. Many days were exactly that, no work, no pay. Would have loved to see my Mom stay home when she was sick, but with 4 kids to raise by her lonesome?

If I believed everything I touched or walked by would make me sick? Most of my exciting life would have never happened, including the present. JMO

hckynut(john)

@hckynut   It's STILL that way in a lot of places.   

And, if you are "off" too often, or too long, they just fire you.  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

In my last job I traveled a lot, so used "anyone's" computer when I stopped in at the business office.

And for at least a dozen years I used laptops, tablets, and PCs at local libraries averaging 5x per week (and those are REALLY filthy!!!)

Didn't get sick, but also had the presence of mind not to touch my face, hair, clothes, etc, and use a hand sanitizer as soon as I logged off.  (I'd have it ready & opened, on the table.)

Then I would pick up my purse with a tissue and go straight to the ladies room to thoroughly wash hands, and touch nothing between there and my car.

It's up to you to use common sense, not just where you volunteer, but everywhere.

And I remember your previous posts.

Is this thread a testing ground?

Are you thinking of claiming they're responsible for you being ill because they "should" provide you with a computer no one else touches?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina  Disinfect any keyboard before using, including your own.  We do not always know what we are touching and it does not take much to get sick.  A small cut on your hand, one so small that it is not even seen by you, could prove to be very unhealthy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

This is why when DH and I see somebody on the news getting an award for perfect attendance we wonder just how many people these jerks (who apparently think they are indespensible at school/work) passed their special sickness on to. I was taught if you are sick stay home and don't infect others. Those who show up no matter what ( to lock in that "perfect" award) and cough and sneeze and spread their germs etc. all over everyone and everything and well you get my point. No awards for sharing. IMHO.

@silkyk   My mother only missed one day of work when she was teaching.  That was when my grandfather died.  She was never sick during that time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina   Are you missing work when you're sick?  If you're calling in sick half the time you're volunteering you're not very dependable.  I would probably quit and let them find another volunteer.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I had to quit working the nursery at church, everytime I worked I ended up with a cold.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@RinaRina   Are you missing work when you're sick?  If you're calling in sick half the time you're volunteering you're not very dependable.  I would probably quit and let them find another volunteer.

I'm surprised they haven't un-accepted her volunteer services already.

I think I'd just go ahead and recruit another volunteer, and switch her duties to something that could be postponed without any ill effect.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can pick up microorganisms from keyboards. I try my best not to touch shared surfaces. I use my elbow to push open doors in buildings, especially hospitals. I put a piece of toilet paper atop the paper towel dispenser knob in the ladies room, take my shoes off in the garage or outside the front door after visiting any hospital and wipe my hands before touching my door knob. I wipe my steering wheel off. I bring my own pen to doctors’ offices and CVS when picking up an RX. I wipe down the handle on shopping carts. I wash my hands often and dry them with disposable paper towels each time. I spray some surfaces with Lysol and I use chlorine bleach in my clothes washer with all loads on underwear and loads of white socks and white towels. I don’t share a touch screen device with anyone except my husband on the rare occasions I need to use his phone. I’ve taught microscopy for many years. Once you’ve seen these organisms through the lens you’ll never forget their presence literally everywhere on earth. Luckily for us most of them are beneficial.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I had to quit working the nursery at church, everytime I worked I ended up with a cold.

I know!!! I'm at that point! 

My immune system must be very weak.

ALL the paid employees have been out sick at the same time too!

I guess it's normal to them, but I'm not used to being sick so often.

And ... I have a "regular" PT job that I can't go to when I'm sick.

This really is upsetting.

Edit:
A month ago I had strep throat, tonsillitis and an ear infection!

The problem is, given that I only volunteer 4 hrs/week, if I come in there disinfecting whatever computer and phone they let me use, they're gonna think I'm nuts!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."