Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Just Ran Into This And The Description-And Truths Are Right On (I think)

I've read this before, but it's still poignant.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

It’s weird how those waves come. My husband has been gone almost 16 years. He was the cook.

The one meal I regularly cook is Sunday breakfast.

Sunday I walked the dogs and sat down to breakfast, thinking what a nice day it was. 

I had left my husbands chair out from the table because my phone was charging in it. I noticed the chair pulled out and he wasn’t in it. 

So, a wave came. But it wasn’t large. I smiled at his chair and told him “good morning”!

@1Snickers What a beautiful memory.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

My heart goes out to the posters on this thread. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think anyone who has lost someone that they loved, knows all about the waves.

Last week, I took myself out to dinner, and as I waited for my food, I couldn't help but to stare at the empty chair across from me, and imagine my dad sitting there.

Tonight, for no particular reason, I find myself really missing my dad.

Waves.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Contributor

I understand the loss of your dad so well. My dad passed from CJD 3 years ago this coming Thursday. The grief is still unbearable at times. TIDAL WAVES mostly.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 @1Snickers , I especially appreciate your brief, beautifully stated comments, because they seem to encapsulate my own reactions over time to my own losses.

I talk to those whom I’ve lost, which I believe is part of my religious faith, and I find, and believe, that I’m often answered and nearly as often helped by them.

I’m really not a very fanciful person, and their presence is always a positive confirmation to me that they’re close by, and can almost never ever be attributed to coincidence.

Frequent Contributor

There is a beautiful article published in the Opinion section of the New York Times just 2 days ago, Aug 25. It's titled I Couldn't Say 'My Mother' Without Crying. There are 287 comments on a wide range of grief and experiences.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/opinion/mothers-childhood-grief.html

Hopefully, this link works for you. Otherwise, you should be able to access it by putting in a search in a browser. NYT allows 10 free articles per month (or used to be so).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for sharing this insightful post, @ECBG.❤️   I first tried to wade through grief when I was about 11 years old and my gentle aunt, who lived next door and was a 2nd mother to us, died suddenly.    When I was only 17, I saw a friend die on the football field.    Only a few months later, my magical, wonderful father passed away.    Gosh, how I wish I could've known my Daddy in my adult years...  how I wish he could've been here and known the adult me.

Over the years, so many others... my dear, lovely mother, my beloved husband, all the close friends and family, have slipped off the edge of the earth into what I do hope is a pain-free place of paradise.   Last week my bright, sensitive, funny, sweet cousin, who was a brother to us, died and just as with the others it's hard to think of this worldly life with the empty space he leaves.   We are heartbroken.

As an adult, I was (and I am) lucky and blessed to have good therapists.   I wish I had been able to have that when I was so young and trying to sort out the pain, the loss, the emptiness.   My heart goes out to all of you who have posted, and those who only read here.   We all know that we don't "get over" the grief...  we move through it and, with grace, we survive the waves.❤️   

6E9B8454-72CA-44A4-A907-9D4643440288.jpeg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo Thank you for that beautiful message.  I am so sorry for such a young child and later a young person to have gone through so much.  Bless you and your strength.  You are an inspiration in yourself.

Valued Contributor

So true. So sad. My son, Adam’s birthday is tomorrow. He would be 32. Lost him almost 11 years ago. Went to The Compassionate Friends group for eight years. That helped in the healing. Look normal on the outside but missing part of my heart.