Respected Contributor

I Just Lost Respect For My House Manager

Let me first say  that I am a nurse and work in a group home  which is a  medical  house so all of the staff are nurses And it is run by a house manager who is not a nurse. There is one nurse that people always seem to poke fun of because she leaves notes in the day book for infor that she feels others should know. Like for instance she bought a watermelon and it disappeared and she  left a not stating "Anyone know where the watermelon went?" Well, they all had a field day and at that moment the Housemanager walks in with papers in her hands and one of the nurses couldn't wait to tell her about the watermelon. The house manager said "No Not the watermelon!!" and everything she had in her hands  she let them drop to the floor. And they all had a  good laugh. Myself and another nurse never say anything don't want to get involved in  putting down a fellow worker. First of all managers shouldn't get that  close to staff  where they are buddies they are management and we are not. And participating in putting down one of your workers to  me is so disrespectful. I just lost so much respect for her and I never knew she was like this.

Respected Contributor

Re: I Just Lost Respect For My House Manager

I hear what you are saying, and agree.  However, anyone can have a lapse of judgement.  Unless she has a habit of this type of thing, I'd give her a pass for a rare transgression.  YMMV.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

It was totally inappropriate for her to put that watermelon foolishness in a document that is supposed to be clinical/treatment  issues.  I'd have rolled my eyes the first time she did something as dumb as that and I'd have laughed it if she ever did it again.  They weren't putting her down but someone, her supervisor, needs to do some re-training with that nurse.  I'm assuming she is not an RN.  I don't see where the manager was being overly friendly with the staff....helllo.....it was note about a watermelon.  And it was funny.   If you really wanted to supportive and spare your co-worker this type of thing; you would diplomatically explain to her what should go into the day book.....and what shouldn't.  

Trusted Contributor

maybe she wanted to be liked, to fit in, to be one of the girls, to get a laugh. all of which is fine, but not for someone who's supposed to act professionally and have some tact. and not at the expense of someone else's feelings. 

Honored Contributor

If the manager objects to the information that this nurse records, she should speak to her about it privately. You don't throw an employee under the bus in front of co- workers. Part of being a manager, is knowing how to handle people.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't see anything so terrible in what the manager did....the nurse who wrote the note in the day book sounds like she may be a "challenge" to work with and manage.  I mean really...putting that note in the day book (and I gather the purpose of that book is NOT personal messages like the watermelon question!)....that was just a passive aggressive way of her letting everyone know she thinks someone took it and they should "fess up."..right, like if someone would steal a watermelon they are going to go up and say they did it????   Better to just keep personal items like that in the car.  Seems like it would be pretty hard for someone to sneak a watermelon unobtrusively out of an office...they are kinda large!!!

I wouldn't lose respect for my manager over something like that....there are a lot bigger problems going on at most workplaces!!!

Honored Contributor

The manager and the co workers should be more mature than to make fun of a co worker. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. The manager  should also not allow stealing someones personal  food go by unnoticed either. Someone who would steal food would also steal drugs, money from purses - anything.

Respected Contributor

I think it is wrong for a supervisor to share or contribute in "making fun" of any employee.  If the notes that are being left in the day book are considered inappropriate to the job the the house manager should discuss it with her.

Honored Contributor

You should NOT speak to the other nurse about it.  That is what supervisors are for.  The supervisor needs to do her job.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

You should see some of the things I've seen in a day book at a facility.

This watermelon story pales in comparison

(I am a former nursing home employee, not a nurse)

@cuddlesmama