Honored Contributor

Re: I Got a Warning from Amazon!

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I no longer trust Amazon's reviews, since they started offering free products to some, in exchange for their review and sourcing reviews from other sites on the same product, while I may not deem those 'other' sites to be reputable.

If a company gives you a product for free, in exchange for a 'glowing' review, what would you do?

My guess is that they would give the 'glowing' review, to keep getting free products from Amazon.

JMHO.

After all these years, it surprises me that people still don't understand what Amazon really is.  Amazon has it's own product lines but Amazon is platform for third party sellers.  Some of the third party sellers do indeed offer free products or greatly reduced products for positive reviews.  There's not much, if anything, Amazon can do about it.  I know because I just received two pairs of really nice boots for $10.50 a pair and all they request is that I review them on Amazon.  Last winter I bought two pairs of boots for my niece,  I sent them to her and I never even saw them but she said she like them a lot.  I hope so because the boots that came yesterday are in her size.  I'm not going to review them because they aren't my size, I can't even get my foot into a size 7.  Also, I don't like the idea of vendors buying reviews.  But the boots are fashionable and very well made.  They look as good as boots that I have paid $70 or $80 for.  

Esteemed Contributor

Please don't let Amazon bully you into not writing reviews.  We have dealt with Amazon for years as a buyer and a seller.  It has turned into a mammoth monster with a lot of power.  I don't want to get into details but they are anything but fair to everyone.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I try to do the right thing so I'd be upset too. In reality, it's better to let it go. Just like when someone questions the veracity of what a person posts on these  boards.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

So much for trusting the reviews on Amazon! I have also relied (and believed) them to be valid. Guess they are slanted in favor of the vendor. Not a fan of that kind of business tactics. Thanks for sharing.

I've written plenty of negative reviews and have never had a problem. You just have to stick to facts and opinions that don't veer close to defamation and avoid speculation. The OP didn't do that. A person writing a review that includes false statements of fact can actually be sued by the person or company being reviewed. By taking down a review that might be defamatory, Amazon is protecting itself and the OP, not vendor.

"These did nothing for me."  Opinion and allowed.

"The other reviews are fake." Speculation that could be viewed as libel if it cannot be proven to be true

"I got a bad batch." Speculation that could go either way, but is better to avoid.

Here's more information on the topic: 

https://www.howtogeek.com/352302/can-you-get-sued-for-leaving-a-bad-review/

Trusted Contributor

Honestly that would stop me from purchasing from Amazon (something I rarely do to begin with).  You are paying for a Prime membership and they have the nerve to tell you that.  I would cancel that membership immediately and shop elsewhere.  Since Amazon is made up of third party vendors anyway you can find their website and bypass Amazon all together.  

You should be able to give an honest review otherwise what is the point of offerring reviews at all.

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Do not know if it is true, but I read that if one of Jeff Bezos'  "friends" writes a book and the reviews are not excellent Amazon will out post them for a while until the book is out for many months.

Do you have a source for that information? 

When I see or hear what amounts to "I don't know if it's true, but I read it somewhere," I assign that statement zero credibility and the person making the statement also loses credibility.

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat, If you do not understand the “several” reviews email, ask for an explanation.  I feel they owe you one.

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I just love the convenience of Amazon and use my Prime membership all the time.  I leave reviews when I have something constructive to say because I always read reviews before I purchase and have found them helpful and figure my opinion might help someone else with their decision. 

I recently saw an ad for a sleep supplement and checked the reviews before I purchased them.  The majority of the reviews were glowing with just a few (as is usual) that said the supplement did nothing for them.  I compared the ingredients to an Andrew Lessman sleep supplement that I currently take and the one on Amazon had higher levels plus a couple additional ingredients so I had high hopes.  After trying them and having nothing but several really lousy nights' sleeps, I decided to leave a review voicing my disappointment.  I said something to the effect of "either the other reviews are fake or I just got a bad batch because these pills did absolutely nothing for me."  Well, that was BAD and Amazon sent me a note saying I did not abide by the guidelines and my review could not be posted.  OK, my bad, mea culpa, no more sarcasm, I've learned my lesson and accept the admonishment.

A couple days later I got another email from Amazon stating that *SEVERAL* of my recent reviews have been outside their guidelines and I should consider this my first warning.  WOW!  This one is the only review that I can recall saying anything bad about and I'm feeling like a really bad person now!  I don't think I'll be submitting any more reviews on Amazon.  This is the first time anything like this has happened to me and I just feel really sensitive and chastised.  And, I'm going back to the Lessman supplements!

That happened to me and the funny thing is I never left a review and neither did my husband.  I called Amazon and they reinstated my review privileges.  I had to laugh considering I never left a review in the first place.  Call them.  

Valued Contributor

@Suzeecat

Are you aware of the fact that most of the reviews on Amazon are paid for?
I had a review removed because apparently another person didn't like what I posted and I knew who had my review removed.
I feel bad for you that Amazon treated you so horribly.
Amazon is going to end up losing a good customer like you.

I'm pretty,but I'm not beautiful.
I sin, but I'm not the devil.
I'm good,but I'm not an angel.
Marilyn Monroe
Valued Contributor

I received used makeup from Amazon and my review was removed as not conforming to their guidelines. So I rewrote the review describing the fingerprints in the jar of the prior owner. That was posted. Go figure. 

I've noticed that sometimes when an item gets a number of negative reviews the product is removed from Amazon then relisted with positive reviews. 

I've also noticed that if I write a negative review on certain shopping sites, like Zappos which is part of Amazon, the review isn't posted for 3-4 weeks then it's buried amid other reviews or only viewable in certain views of the product. If I write a positive review it's posted almost immediately. I think that strategic has become common among shopping sites.