Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,930
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@denisemb wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Speaking strictly for myself, I cannot imagine having no intellectual curiosity or believing that I know all there is worth knowing. The day I stop having the desire to learn and grow is the day I want to die as there is nothing left to live for. I have kept myself pretty computer literate and keep up with professional education online even though I am retired. I'm on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter to keep in touch with family and friends and I control how much information I put out there. I believe life is a journey to be lived and experienced in all its forms. Otherwise, what's the point?


I kinda sorta understand where you're coming from...but don't believe intellectual curiosity is necessarily tied to social media or smartphones are unfamilia.

 

I.E., most of my information/knowledge gained IS from the internet.  But not through texting, FB, Twitter, Instagram, et all.  I could give you numerous examples if you desire.


I understand what you are saying and support those who do not want to learn about new technologies and do not put them down in any way. I can only speak for myself. I do gain from things I see on all aspects of social media that spark a curiosity in me. A word, picture, concept or activity that inspires me to find out about it. It might be something that doesn’t hold my attention but at least I can say I experienced it and know what I’m talking about before I put it aside.

 


'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,333
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

I know a few of the Internet terms but I frankly don’t care about the rest. Sooner or later I'll get the translations. I just hope that young people posting today can understand the language of those who have been living long lives and can describe many ideas, products, opinions, etc.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,192
Registered: ‎07-25-2010

I am not on Facebook, Twitter or any of those other social media sites.  I refuse to have my info out there, and I do not care how many safety things they put on it, I just do not share that.  Also, I do not need to share my life with others.  If people want to talk to me, they can call me on my cell phone or my landline.  So, you are not the only one.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,920
Registered: ‎07-01-2012

Hey, I still look for the on and off switch!

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,471
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

@denisemb wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Speaking strictly for myself, I cannot imagine having no intellectual curiosity or believing that I know all there is worth knowing. The day I stop having the desire to learn and grow is the day I want to die as there is nothing left to live for. I have kept myself pretty computer literate and keep up with professional education online even though I am retired. I'm on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter to keep in touch with family and friends and I control how much information I put out there. I believe life is a journey to be lived and experienced in all its forms. Otherwise, what's the point?


I kinda sorta understand where you're coming from...but don't believe intellectual curiosity is necessarily tied to social media or smartphones.

 

I.E., most of my information/knowledge gained IS from the internet.  But not through texting, FB, Twitter, Instagram, et all.  I could give you numerous examples if you desire.


 

 

 

@denisemb   Yes, I made the same observation here awhile back. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,471
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have never witnessed anyone take a selfie. I guess I don’t get out enough.


 

 

@proudlyfromNJ   ...and before these phones, folks could walk a straight line on the sidewalk because they weren’t texting or reading one that came in. DH and I went out for a nice steak dinner, including my quarterly cosmo. The man at the next table put his phone next to his plate first thing, just in case, during the hour he was eating, someone needed him. A little self-absorbed, no? 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,471
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

@Vivian wrote:

I know a few of the Internet terms but I frankly don’t care about the rest. Sooner or later I'll get the translations. I just hope that young people posting today can understand the language of those who have been living long lives and can describe many ideas, products, opinions, etc.


 

 

@Vivian   Great point.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,845
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: I FEEL OLD AS DIRT

[ Edited ]

Just one more reason to not follow Twitter - If the CEO gets hacked, how safe are we?  (CNN story - and found it NOT following social media...))

 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/31/tech/twitter-security-jack-dorsey-hack/index.html

 

 

Denise
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,930
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: I FEEL OLD AS DIRT

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@denisemb wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Speaking strictly for myself, I cannot imagine having no intellectual curiosity or believing that I know all there is worth knowing. The day I stop having the desire to learn and grow is the day I want to die as there is nothing left to live for. I have kept myself pretty computer literate and keep up with professional education online even though I am retired. I'm on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter to keep in touch with family and friends and I control how much information I put out there. I believe life is a journey to be lived and experienced in all its forms. Otherwise, what's the point?


I kinda sorta understand where you're coming from...but don't believe intellectual curiosity is necessarily tied to social media or smartphones.

 

I.E., most of my information/knowledge gained IS from the internet.  But not through texting, FB, Twitter, Instagram, et all.  I could give you numerous examples if you desire.


 

 

 

@denisemb   Yes, I made the same observation here awhile back. 


It seems that some were put off by my term intellectual curiosity. I was speaking only for myself and I consider intellectual curiosity the desire to learn about what I do not know. I, personally, do not take pride in my ignorance but strive to learn and grow intellectuallly and experiencially. If someone chooses to take insult from my personal beliefs then YMMV.


'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,731
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Shanus wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have never witnessed anyone take a selfie. I guess I don’t get out enough.


 

 

@proudlyfromNJ   ...and before these phones, folks could walk a straight line on the sidewalk because they weren’t texting or reading one that came in. DH and I went out for a nice steak dinner, including my quarterly cosmo. The man at the next table put his phone next to his plate first thing, just in case, during the hour he was eating, someone needed him. A little self-absorbed, no? 


He could have been a little self-absorbed....or could have a sick relative in the hospital across the country; or he’s waiting for the “I’ve landed safe!” text from his adult son on a trip; maybe he’s a physician on call. A million reasons we need to be available while others are relaxing.