Valued Contributor

Old as dirt?  Yes, that's me!  I work with all young people...Reach Out, Meme, etc.  All the time!  

PS I'm retiring the first of the year.

Anyway, they do make me laugh and I try not to get annoyed but yes, times have certainly changed.  I didn't want a cell phone at all.  How dumb people walking around talking to who?  About what?  Can't you wait until later?   

I do like texting though and I fought that, too.  My assistant at work told me I would love it and I do.  (her mom/I are the same age).  

When I "emailed" my work group (they all sit right by me but hey, no one want to talk about things when they can message), I got Memes back from all of them.  No one turned around and said "wow, you're retiring?"  Nope.  They sent me a meme.  They were funny ones, too and I just had to laugh to myself and say "it's a new world out there!"

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Speaking strictly for myself, I cannot imagine having no intellectual curiosity or believing that I know all there is worth knowing. The day I stop having the desire to learn and grow is the day I want to die as there is nothing left to live for. I have kept myself pretty computer literate and keep up with professional education online even though I am retired. I'm on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter to keep in touch with family and friends and I control how much information I put out there. I believe life is a journey to be lived and experienced in all its forms. Otherwise, what's the point?

Yes!!! I hope to always want to continually learn new things and ideas - big and small. My husband and I recently took our very first selfie ever.  It was silly and fun (and a great picture that will always make us smile). 

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 I bet the pic is great and will be treasured by you and your family forever!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: I FEEL OLD AS DIRT

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have never witnessed anyone take a selfie. I guess I don’t get out enough.

@proudlyfromNJ   ...and before these phones, folks could walk a straight line on the sidewalk because they weren’t texting or reading one that came in. DH and I went out for a nice steak dinner, including my quarterly cosmo. The man at the next table put his phone next to his plate first thing, just in case, during the hour he was eating, someone needed him. A little self-absorbed, no? 

He could have been a little self-absorbed....or could have a sick relative in the hospital across the country; or he’s waiting for the “I’ve landed safe!” text from his adult son on a trip; maybe he’s a physician on call. A million reasons we need to be available while others are relaxing.

@Mj12   What did we do before cell phones? We waited until we got home and checked the answering machine. I find always being “connected” unnecessary.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have never witnessed anyone take a selfie. I guess I don’t get out enough.

@proudlyfromNJ   ...and before these phones, folks could walk a straight line on the sidewalk because they weren’t texting or reading one that came in. DH and I went out for a nice steak dinner, including my quarterly cosmo. The man at the next table put his phone next to his plate first thing, just in case, during the hour he was eating, someone needed him. A little self-absorbed, no? 

He could have been a little self-absorbed....or could have a sick relative in the hospital across the country; or he’s waiting for the “I’ve landed safe!” text from his adult son on a trip; maybe he’s a physician on call. A million reasons we need to be available while others are relaxing.

@Mj12   What did we do before cell phones? We waited until we got home and checked the answering machine. I find always being “connected” unnecessary.

@Shanus. We eat out quite often and still don't notice everyone on their phones. We also choose a booth if they have one because we like our privacy. That's probably why I don't see this if it takes place in our favorite restaurants. It would annoy me if I heard people screeching into their phones or even to their dinner partner. 

What did we do before any new invention. That's fine that you find being connected unnecessary, but you can't force your beliefs on everyone else and why would you want to? I see things I don't like but why should everyone have to be like me or conform to how I think they should live their lives.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ   If their rudeness affects me, then yes, I have a right to be annoyed. Why do they ask in movie theatres to turn off cell phones and stop talking...because it’s distracting & interferes with enjoyment of others.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanusjust speaking for me and my preferences - I think there is a time and place for everything.  I prefer to be (and need to be for work) connected generally - however never in church or a funeral, in a public meeting (rude IMO), I don't want to hear/see anyone's Facetime conversations or loud games in a doctor's office. We just went on vacation and while we both took our cell phones with us in case of an emergency - we both left them in the room and checked for texts only once each evening. We did both "tune out" for more than a week and it was great.  

Back to reality now, and I will carry my cell with me to most places - at a restaurant - it will be on the table (but on silent), and if I get a call I need to take I will step outside.  It's just what works for me, and I won't judge those who do otherwise.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   May  I play in your sandbox of dirt?  I'm right there with you.  People suggest some things and since we may not use it, my husband and I look at each other, like deer in headlights.  ahahahahahahahahaha.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Shanus   May  I play in your sandbox of dirt?  I'm right there with you.  People suggest some things and since we may not use it, my husband and I look at each other, like deer in headlights.  ahahahahahahahahaha.

@qualitygal   We do use our cell phones...frequently, but at appropriate times. They’re not present at the dinner table, DH keeps his off when playing or visiting w/ GDs, and we have “together time” watching TV, walking the dog, etc. I check mine every few hours for texts or important emails...just a glance. I set aside a 1/2 hour in the morning & another 1/2 hour a few hours before bedtime to answer urgent or family emails. Delete others. 

Esteemed Contributor

I sent back to my former church and the whole bible study is now on ipads.  It is amazing the way it has all been programed.  Everyone brings an iPad or kindle.  I brought my paper bible and felt odd.  I love flipping through the pages.  Everyone had the passages before I could flip and I know my bible books.  It is cool, but odd to see all these ipads out.  Now I do both.

I tried facebook, but not the others.  Didn,t like it.  As far as texting, it's the only way I can communicate with daughter of grandsons.  They do not answer their phones.  Thank God my son's talk to me by phone.

I remember we didn,t get to use the wall phone after school until our chores and homework was done.  On school nights, only one phone call was allowed.  We still had operators to talk to with a phone problem.

Was so happy when extension cord came out.  I could move a few feet with the phone and not stuck to the wall.

We had to think, figure things out and basically know how to survive in tough times.  If all this stuff breaks down, this generation is in deep do do.